1982 kz750 LTD Twin - Carb Kit?

More
29 Jul 2019 11:33 #808361 by NickyNaggs
1982 kz750 LTD Twin - Carb Kit? was created by NickyNaggs
Hello all,

I am new to the street bike scene after buying a motorcycle my Dad could have owned.. I am not a complete rookie but these puppies are a bit more involved over my yz250 motocross LOL

Everything checks out great on the bike aside from filthy carbs. I plan to cleanse the tank and plum new fuel lines as well as a complete carb strip down and re-build.

My only issue is finding carb kits for these carbs.. lots of variation between model years. Only similar bike I could find for literature and the like is the KZ750-M1. I hope I am right. Does anyone have any sources for carb kits? I am in Canada but border the States so that's no problem.

Further to that after taking the airbox out it looks like the air ducts are shot. Does anyone know where I could get these parts as well? If I cannot I will switch to pods. Last question, if I switch to pods does anyone have any tips for jetting or do I not need to worry about lean condition with just pods changed? I like my exhaust seats..... seated.

If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy.
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
29 Jul 2019 11:39 #808362 by NickyNaggs
Replied by NickyNaggs on topic 1982 kz750 LTD Twin - Carb Kit?
Further to this, the carbs are Mikuni BS34's (measured the throat). The bowl gasket is the less complicated one WITHOUT the peninsula looking area sealing the jets.

More
29 Jul 2019 13:53 - 29 Jul 2019 13:57 #808367 by martin_csr
Replied by martin_csr on topic 1982 kz750 LTD Twin - Carb Kit?
Your bike is probably very similar to the 82 750M CSR & 83-84 750K Ltd Belt models.
The carburetors are similar, so you can compare them to yours at Partzilla to see which carbs are most similar.

From the diagrams at Partzilla the 750M/K models had the same airbox ducts but they are NLA. I did an EB & internet search w no luck.
Some guys fabricate replacement ducts from radiator hose or silicone hose. You'd need to measure the airbox hole ID & carb OD.

The float bowl gaskets seem to be available at Partzilla & on EB.
Z1Enterprises.com didn't have much carb stuff listed for the 750-CSR. I didn't check the 750K anywhere.
Last edit: 29 Jul 2019 13:57 by martin_csr.
The following user(s) said Thank You: NickyNaggs

More
29 Jul 2019 17:18 #808385 by Nessism
Replied by Nessism on topic 1982 kz750 LTD Twin - Carb Kit?
Stay clear of "carb kits" which vary in quality from passable to pure junk. All you should need are new soft parts like O-rings and gaskets anyway. Check Z1 or Partzilla and buy O-rings. An O-ring kit from cycleorings may fit as well so consider that too. PM me if you need help figuring out what sizes you need.
The following user(s) said Thank You: jayrodoh, NickyNaggs

More
29 Jul 2019 20:48 #808395 by NickyNaggs
Replied by NickyNaggs on topic 1982 kz750 LTD Twin - Carb Kit?
Thank you for the timely responses gentlemen.

I had some luck finding a carb kit on Z1, I will be reusing all of the original hardware so as not to disturb the force.. This was just a lazy mans way of getting something comprehensive. It also pushed my order to $100 with the seat cover, free shipping for the win. Knock on wood the quality is good, if not I will take is as a lesson and do what you suggested next time Nessism. I bought the kit before I saw your post.

I really love the idea of silicone turbo joiners as a backyardigans approach for the tough to find parts. 55.5mmDIA airbox opening, 55.7mmDIA carb inlet OD, 45DEG sweep. I'm sure I can grab something that will work and cut a slight groove in it to match up with existing airbox hardware. Further to this, it looks likeI was able to find the ducts from partzilla, I will order these as I feel this vintage deserves the respect.

Hopefully those items are covered with that. While I'm on the fuel/air system overhaul I figured carb boots were on the agenda. Any suggestible sources for these?

I will keep this thread posted with updates on the project.

More
30 Jul 2019 05:14 - 30 Jul 2019 05:16 #808406 by jayrodoh
Replied by jayrodoh on topic 1982 kz750 LTD Twin - Carb Kit?
I was zooming in on your pics and the bike looks identical to the CSR M1 variant. Both the carb intakes and carb holders are extremely hard to find. I went with the silicone hose intakes for a year or so until I found the intakes. You can find some on eBay that are 45 degree and cut down to fit. I can see if I have the size still but sounds like you are on top of that already.

My holders were a little rough, here is my thread on that:
www.kzrider.com/kunena/2-engine/610292-c...ant-to-cylinder-head

I second @Nessium on the kits, they are usually junk. You are better off sourcing all the OEM rubber bits which you can get for these carbs. Between Partzilla and Z1 I was covered.

Good luck with the bike, I've always enjoyed a twin.

1982 KZ750-M1 CSR
Last edit: 30 Jul 2019 05:16 by jayrodoh.