Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

Which Carbs for my set-up? 03 Jun 2019 09:37 #805075

• Serpent7
  • Serpent7's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Nothing professionally, only for fun...
  • Thank you received: 3
I have a '79 KZ1000e and after this riding season, I will be replacing the carbs. My current mods are Stage 3 jet kit, K&N Filter pods, Dyna Coil 3.0 ohm, DynaS ignition, 4 into 1 sidewinder header, Old Kerker with no baffle. Future Mods will be a torque cam and a 1075 top in forged kit. I'm not looking for balls to the wall speed. I pretty much ride out 2-3 gear and that's about it. Mostly city driving (light to light). I like my bike looking and sounding good... Not really into speed per say...

What carbs do you recommend? I currently have the stock 28's on it now... I'm hearing Mikuni 34's, 29 Smooth bores, Keihin CR? What are the + and - for each? Are there other carbs out there that are even better for my application? MegaSquirt maybe? Again, I'm not looking for absolute raw power, I'm looking to set it, run it, love it! If it sounds good and looks good, I'm good; Decent power over stock, I'm not a racer!

19 Audi Q5
14 Volkswagen Touareg X
97 Honda Shadow Spirit
79 Kawasaki KZ1000 st
79 Volkswagen Transporter
73 Volkswagen Thing

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Last edit: by Serpent7.

Which Carbs for my set-up? 03 Jun 2019 11:00 #805077

• zed1015
  • User
  • Thank you received: 1441
No bigger than 33mm Mikunis for your planned mods and that size would be big enough for all states of road tune and most race but those stock 28's will not hold you back now and will work well with 1075 and fast road cams for the style of riding you describe.
I run a Z1R with 1075 Wiseco's , ported head etc and it pulls like a train from standstill and up past the redline with stock 28's
I would get the motor mods done first and see how it goes before shelling out on carbs you may not need and smaller is better for throttle response especially on the "light to light " sprint.
I'm running pods with 120 mains, stock pilots , air corrector jets and needle in middle groove.
AIR CORRECTOR JETS FOR VM CARBS AND ETHANOL RESISTANT VITON CHOKE PLUNGER SEAL REPLACMENT FOR ALL CLASSIC AND MODERN MOTORCYCLE CARBURETTORS
kzrider.com/forum/23-for-sale/611992-air-corrector-jets-

The following user(s) said Thank You: Serpent7

Last edit: by zed1015.

Which Carbs for my set-up? 03 Jun 2019 13:17 #805081

• baldy110
  • User
  • Thank you received: 510
Keep the 28's and spend the money saved on something else.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Serpent7

Which Carbs for my set-up? 04 Jun 2019 06:28 #805134

• Serpent7
  • Serpent7's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Nothing professionally, only for fun...
  • Thank you received: 3
Good news! Thanks! I was under the impression I would need bigger carbs. I'm glad my 28's will work fine, even with my 1075 planned upgrade.
19 Audi Q5
14 Volkswagen Touareg X
97 Honda Shadow Spirit
79 Kawasaki KZ1000 st
79 Volkswagen Transporter
73 Volkswagen Thing

• Page: