• Page:

TOPIC:

Carb kit for 83 21 Apr 2019 14:49 #802562

• Troy1974
  • Troy1974's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 0
Hi
New to the forum - I’m trying to buy a carb service kits for my 400 LTD - rubber seals / jets etc but on eBay they seem to list two different types where the float bowel seals are round or kind of square like - I can obviously see what shape my carbs are but wasn’t sure if they’re different internally - also are kits for 79 models suitable for 83 models - I included photos of the two types available - Any help is appreciated
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Carb kit for 83 21 Apr 2019 15:14 #802563

• Scirocco
  • Premium Member
  • Never change a running system
  • Thank you received: 1895
Some more bike info and pics (bike/carbs/old gasket) would be helpful.
Intruduce you and your bike first and yes, welcone to the Forum.

Carb kit for 83 21 Apr 2019 15:27 #802564

• Nessism
  • Sustaining Member
  • Thank you received: 2672
Carb Kits = imitation junk parts

You would be better off sourcing the soft parts like O-rings and reuse all the brass jets. If necessary, you can get float needles with the rubber tip.
The large O-ring for the float bowl can be either formed or round. If round use a few dots of super glue in the bowl groove and then place the O-ring inside with some tape until it drys.

I've rebuild scads of Keihin carbs like the 1983 440 uses. I've got records of the O-ring sizes, and should even have spare O-rings too.

Last edit: by Nessism.

Carb kit for 83 21 Apr 2019 17:03 #802575

• Oldjeep
  • User
  • Thank you received: 31
For whatever it is worth, the ebay carb kits I bought came straight from japan. No issues with any of the gaskets, orings air needle or rubber tipped carb needle.
Chuck
81 KZ750 LTD
03 FZ1
www.oldjeep.com

Carb kit for 83 22 Apr 2019 14:41 #802635

• Troy1974
  • Troy1974's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 0
Thanks for the replies - I only just bought the bike - it’s a 1982 400 LTD - I wasn’t sure if the prefix tonthe 400 is K or KZ which is why I’m struggling to find the right carb kit - I’ve bought these kits before many times for Hondas and Suzuki’s and never had an issue - think I’ll probably need to replace the O rings for sure. They are Kehlin carbs by the way but I’m sure you guys knew that. So the symptoms I’m having is that when i picked up the bike there’s a suspicion the bike had been sitting a while and when I went out for the first test ride there was a loss of power at around 5-6k Revs - then when stopping gas leaked from the carbs - so fuel isn’t being burnt for some reason - obviously the carbs might need a service but it wondering that perhaps it’s being starved of air or bad spark ? Anyway thanks in advance

Carb kit for 83 22 Apr 2019 17:31 #802645

• 650ed
  • User
  • Thank you received: 2828
If the bike say for a while with fuel in the carbs the carbs probably are gunked up and preventing the engine from running at higher rpms. This happened to me a while back and thoroughly cleaning the carbs completely solved the problem. Ed
1977 KZ650-C1 Original Owner - Stock (with additional invisible FIAMM horn)

• Page: