TOPIC:

Jet setting 31 Mar 2019 22:14 #801356

• Sayonara
  • Sayonara's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • The faster the better
  • Thank you received: 1
Hello
I just mounted a 1978 KZ 1000 engine completely rebuilt standard 70mm bore with everything new, oem without any modifications, I kew when I bought the bike with the 1400cc engine that it was not going to last to much and after 2000 miles went.
So I decided that I wanted a more reliable daily bike so I did built this engine and it is fitted, so I have a set of vm 26 that were bored to 29 with the APE pod filters and the exhaust its a Mac kerker style with a custom baffle not the factory chambered rubbish.
The carbs were set for the bigger engine so I was wondering if you guys could give me size for the pilot and the main that it would be the starting point for those carbs.
I do also have a set of 33 but my guess a is that is to much for that engine,
there main at the moment is 130 but don't know the pilot but I know that are to big or that bike since were running in the big block.
Thank you in advance.
I grew up riding and fixing all sort of small bike until I inherited A 1977 GS 750 when I was 16, that changed my life completely I love metric bike and I own a few fully working and have some projects.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Last edit: by Sayonara.

Jet setting 01 Apr 2019 03:16 #801357

• WIZZZ
  • User
  • Thank you received: 4
General rule with pods is up 2 on the mains & up 1 on the pilot.

Jet setting 01 Apr 2019 04:53 #801359

• shrap66
  • User
  • Thank you received: 14
I have a 1979 KZ1000 LTD. My engine is a MKII. My carbs are VM26 Pumpers with K&N 2450 pods. My 4 in 1 is unbranded. Looks like a MAC with a baffle. Not too loud. I am 30M above sea level. Typical riding temp 70C.

I just finished my rebuild of the carbs. I cleaned them and did a rejet, new O-rings using Nencho Keyster kits.

Standard is 105 with 15 pilot and Y167-S needle.

I did 109 main jets, 17.5 pilots and Y167-R needle at middle position.

1 1/4 turns on the air screws and adjusted using EMGO vacuum tool.

Bike runs perfect now.
1979 KZ1000B3 LTD Glacier Green

Jet setting 01 Apr 2019 18:43 #801384

• baldy110
  • User
  • Thank you received: 510
Based on your bored out VM29's I would start with 17.5 pilot jets and 120 mains.

Jet setting 02 Apr 2019 06:36 #801393

• Sayonara
  • User
  • The faster the better
I tried the 17.5 with the 117.5 yesterday and the engine fired but something was not right and I wanted to check that new build so I did fir the VM 33 with the same configuration nah then I run the VM 33 on 25 130 that works on my 1200 engine and the engine started and iddle but dont like it, I fired the engine and test no oils leaks wahatsoevever ,clutch very nice shift all gears no noise I the engine at all very happy.
I think maybe the bored out carbs might be dirty since were sat for a while even do I drop 2 cans carb cleaner on it, I also have a set of 28 carb and have 120 jets.
So today mission will be to clean again the bored 29 and the 28 and test with 17.5 and 117.5 and 120 hopefully I will succeed if not will have to take the bike yo Steve at under pressure motorcycles to tune it for me.
I know the 33 are to big for a standard engine but at least I knew that were fully working for firing the bike.
I am very happy that at least I will have a daily driver and reliable bike and no more blisters on my knee by touching my leg with the cam cover like with the 1400 engine, it was like riding an oven.
I grew up riding and fixing all sort of small bike until I inherited A 1977 GS 750 when I was 16, that changed my life completely I love metric bike and I own a few fully working and have some projects.

Jet setting 14 May 2019 13:18 #803870

• Sayonara
  • User
  • The faster the better
Hello
I am installing a new set of RS 34 on my kz 1000 standard engine with 4 to 1 header and K&N pod filters it comes with pilot 17.5 and main 115 should I fit them like that or should I change the main pilot before I fit them up?
Does carbs should be ready to just fit them or should I make any adjustments that you guys recomend
Thanks

• Page: