It would be a good time to spray out your carbs and get new o-rings and float bowl gaskets.
Are those VM carbs? if so this guy sell a high quality VM o- ring set for around 23 bucks delivered.
I know it says Suzuki but they used the same Mikuni carbs.
They fit right in my VM's and I have extra sizes left over , around 40,000 miles on them with no trouble
You would still need to get float bowl gaskets elsewhere
But first make sure you have the VM24 carbs like 79 has.
Patton posted very helpful diagrams on how the flush the passages but I can't find them yet
So I have taken the carbs off (and installed the airbox, which was a pain) and opened the bowl of the carb that was leaking gas from the pod filter. I then opened the bowl that was to the right of it, which would be up hill to it if it was sitting on the kickstand. The floats were not stuck, but I did find something.
These two little pieces were in the bowl of the rightmost carb. I found where they go, but I am missing this little retention clip thing (picture 3 shown).
What is this tiny piece, and could it being missing from carb #4 cause gas to leak from the air filter of carb #3?
I found some for sale for $10 which seems like kind of a rip off, especially with $4 shipping (Like come on it could fit in an envelope) I made one out of a spring from a pen, would I be stupid to accept this as a solution? I don't really like doing janky things, considering the PO's janky things are what I am trying to resolve.
It does work, it rattles the same way the other one does, and the valve still works properly.
My gaskets looked healthy, so I'm leaving the old ones. I cleaned them up and put them back together. I put the carbs on, and then put on the rubber airbox hoses on from inside the airbox. I reached in where the lid goes and stuffed them in from there.
Unfortunately they are not long enough to properly work. They just barely sit on the air intake part of the carb, while they should be on there more than a few mm. I slid the airbox as far forward as it would go while still attached to the battery box.
I think they must have shrunk, since the little notch on 1 and 4 is not even close to the peg on the airbox to stop them from rotating. Its an odd situation.
I guess I have to buy new ones, althoughI'm gonna borrow a heat gun and try to use that to get them all the way on first.
She does start and run though, although I have no intention of actually riding with those hoses barely on there.
I got my new hoses in, they definitely confirm that mine have shrunk.
The first picture is the old one next to the new one to show the change in length.
The second picture is me stacking them and squishing to show the difference in flexibility. I pulled the old ones out through the airbox and will push the new ones in. I am going to soften these further with a soak in some warm water.
EDIT: Got em on, piece of cake. I just need to get the valve clearance adjusted by a pro, and then she should be good to go for an actual cleaning and some touch up on the frame.