Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

Leaky carb boot 13 Jan 2019 16:00 #796719

• ERIK814
  • ERIK814's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 3
I have a leaky carb boot. Determined this by spraying carb cleaner around it and heard an RPM increase at idle. There are not any cracks that I can see visually, but I have not pulled the boots of the bike yet. Are there any fixes that do not require buying / installing a new one or is it best just to get a new one?
1981 KZ 440 LTD Belt Drive (Late Model)

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Leaky carb boot 13 Jan 2019 16:17 #796722

• Scirocco
  • Premium Member
  • Never change a running system
  • Thank you received: 1899
There are no real fixes for those old brittle carb boots.
If the carb boots have porous areas buy it new, they will last for the next 10 years.

Leaky carb boot 13 Jan 2019 16:27 #796723

• 650ed
  • User
  • Thank you received: 2829
Scirocco is correct; replace the carb holders. Over time they develop tiny cracks on the mating surfaces that cannot be seen with the carb holders mounted on the engine. Those tiny cracks may look like they are insignificant, but they really do let air enter the system when the throttle is closed or nearly closed. Folks have tried to seal them with all sorts of home remedies, but those remedies are only temporary at best. Replacing the carb holders with new ones is the only way to really correct the problem. Ed
1977 KZ650-C1 Original Owner - Stock (with additional invisible FIAMM horn)

Leaky carb boot 13 Jan 2019 17:28 #796727

• hardrockminer
  • Sustaining Member
  • Thank you received: 1022
When I install carb boots I apply a little gasket sealer to the boot surface.
I have several restored bikes along with a 2006 Goldwing with a sidecar. My wife has a 2019 Suzuki DR 650 for on and off road.

Leaky carb boot 14 Jan 2019 14:36 #796762

• ERIK814
  • User
Thanks everyone - I'll purchase some new carb boots (sounds like it is necessary). One other question - I'm like 80% sure the leak is just in the right boot but should I just go ahead and replace both? Z1 Enterprises sells them two at a time.

Thanks again!

Leaky carb boot 14 Jan 2019 14:38 #796763

• 650ed
  • User
  • Thank you received: 2829
Replace both. If one is leaking a fair amount the other is leaking at least a little or soon will be. Ed
1977 KZ650-C1 Original Owner - Stock (with additional invisible FIAMM horn)

Leaky carb boot 14 Jan 2019 14:40 #796764

• ERIK814
  • User
Both it is. Thanks again!

Leaky carb boot 15 Jan 2019 06:25 #796795

• slmjim+Z1BEBE
  • User
  • Enjoy Life! IT HAS AN EXPIRATION DATE!
  • Thank you received: 597
Suggest you apply the thread penetrant of your choice (Liquid Wrench, Kroil, etc.) to the threaded fasteners holding the boots to the head now, so they can be soaking for a good long time. Repeat every couple of days.

If any of the screw holes in the head are open at the back (not blind holes), get some penetrant in those open passages too, as the greenish corrosion will likely have developed there also. That corrosion can act like a very effective thread-locker.

If the screws are cross heads, use quality JIS screwdrivers or JIS bits in an impact tool to remove them.

Good Ridin'
slmjim & Z1BEBE
A biker looks at your engine and chrome.
A Rider looks at your odometer and tags.

1972 Z1 x2
1974 Z1-A x2
1975 Z1-B x2
1993 CB 750 Nighthawk x2
2009 ST1300A

www.kawasaki-z-classik.com
An enthusiast's forum focused exclusively
on all things Z1, Z2 and KZ900.

Leaky carb boot 15 Jan 2019 07:40 #796807

• martin_csr
  • User
  • Thank you received: 1621
In addition to the penetrant I would tap tap tap the screws w wood block & mallet. the vibration should help to free up those fasteners which can be difficult to remove. don't pound the fasteners & do not use a sledge hammer.

Last edit: by martin_csr.

Leaky carb boot 15 Jan 2019 11:23 #796826

• ERIK814
  • User
martin and slm:

The thread on the carb holder fasteners are obstructed by the existing boots so how do you get penetrant to the threads? Do you just spray it around the boots and hope it makes its way in?

By tapping with wood / mallet, do you mean place the wood on the screws and then tap (i.e. tap the wood to push the screws further down into the hole)? I'd assume hitting them from the side could shear off the bolts and would not be good.

You mention the back of the screw holes (in the engine head) may be open and can be sprayed with penetrant -- how does one get to those holes to see if they are in fact open? Is there a way to get to them easily without removing the engine from the chassis? I don't have a lot of space to work with.

Also, I checked the service manual and did not see any info on recommended torque for the carb holder fasteners. So I'm guessing add a non-perm locking agent and tighten them firmly but not enough to break/strip the bolts?

Thanks.

Last edit: by ERIK814.

Leaky carb boot 15 Jan 2019 11:35 #796827

• hardrockminer
  • Sustaining Member
  • Thank you received: 1022
I think the threads are 6M fine. If you have JIS screws you should hand tighten and can use a little blue thread lock, although it's not mentioned in the manual. If you have bolts or allen screws you should tighten to 70 to 80 inch lbs and also use a little blue thread lock. Any more torque and you risk stripping the threads in the manifold. Note that I said INCH lbs, not ft lbs.
I have several restored bikes along with a 2006 Goldwing with a sidecar. My wife has a 2019 Suzuki DR 650 for on and off road.

Leaky carb boot 15 Jan 2019 13:37 #796833

• slmjim+Z1BEBE
  • User
  • Enjoy Life! IT HAS AN EXPIRATION DATE!
  • Thank you received: 597
About all you can do is apply penetrant around the screw heads. It may or may not work it's way into the underlying threads.

What 650ED means is, to tap the head of the screw on-axis. Inserting a screwdriver tip into the head and rapping the handle on it's end like a punch. will accomplish the same thing.

The top screws for the carb boots on a Z1 are in blind holes. The bottom screw holes for Z1 carb boots extend all the way through the boss on the head. That opens the bottom holes opposite the screw head to atmosphere. We've seen those screws corroded into the holes so thoroughly from moisture entering the opening in the boss that the screw head twists off before the screw shaft begins to turn, because the shaft is locked into place from corrosion at the open end of the hole. We only mention it to maybe save you some grief. We're not that familiar with 440 heads.

If you examine the head in the areas where the boot screws enter their boss, you should be able to determine if any of the screw holes pass through their boss. If all the holes are blind you can only treat the screw head areas & hope for the best.

Good Ridin'
slmjim & Z1BEBE
A biker looks at your engine and chrome.
A Rider looks at your odometer and tags.

1972 Z1 x2
1974 Z1-A x2
1975 Z1-B x2
1993 CB 750 Nighthawk x2
2009 ST1300A

www.kawasaki-z-classik.com
An enthusiast's forum focused exclusively
on all things Z1, Z2 and KZ900.

• Page: