'78 kz750 twin - seafoam causing stall in one cylinder?

• Jessmansimon
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
16 Dec 2018 13:14 #795235 by Jessmansimon
I had been running with a 40 year old coil for a few weeks before replacement that caused plenty of fouling. So, I got some seafoam carb spray and sprayed about half the bottle into the right cylinder while revving causing the usual white thick exhaust. No hesitation on this cylinder. I shut the engine off to let it sit in that cylinder, then put the nozzle into cylinder 2 to repeat the process. I started the engine and sprayed just a bit and the engine died. Started it back up and revved to about 3-4krpm and tried to spray again, the engine bogged and died. Tried it about 3 more times and it died as soon as I sprayed every time.
What does this mean? I now have a hopefully clean one cylinder, but the remaining cylinder will just NOT take this stuff.
Should I think of a different way of cleaning out this cylinder?
What could cause one cylinder to accept cleaner and not the other?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
16 Dec 2018 13:33 #795238 by Nessism
Not sure what the problem is but I'm pretty sure spraying that stuff into your engine does nothing useful .

• Jessmansimon
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
16 Dec 2018 13:45 #795242 by Jessmansimon
Ok. So to really clean these cylinders, should I take off the head and get in there with a brush?
This also makes me worry a bit, because I know that each cylinder should run independently. I have taken off a spark plug wire while running and had one cylinder at a time run by itself. Even if one cylinder fails, the other should stay running! Right?

More
16 Dec 2018 16:17 #795261 by baldy110
Why are trying to clean your cylinders, they don't get dirty.

More
17 Dec 2018 06:02 #795283 by KZB2 650
I've read some spray a mix of water and anti freeze in the carbs while reving...... Regaine by Gum out is suppose to be pretty good also running it in the tank.... but neither will do wonders ...... Really don't think you should worry enough to take it apart to clean.

1978 KZ650 b-2
700cc Wiseco kit 10 to 1.
1980 KZ750 cam, ape springs, stock clutch/ Barnett springs.
Vance and Hines Header w/ comp baffle and Ape pods, Dyna S and green coils, copper wires.
29MM smooth bores W/ 17.5 pilots, 0-6s and 117.5 main
16/42 gearing X ring chain and alum rear JT sprocket.

More
17 Dec 2018 06:27 - 17 Dec 2018 06:32 #795287 by TexasKZ

baldy110 wrote: Why are trying to clean your cylinders, they don't get dirty.

This.

Unless the rings or valve stem seals are bad, or the bike has been ridden for a bunch of miles with the fuel mixture wickedly rich, the combustion chambers should have no serious buildup of carbon. If any of those conditions exist, flooding the cylinders with chemicals or water will not correct them.
You say the exhaust was white and thick. That would be the Seafoam. Carbon is black, not white.
How did the engine run with the new coil and new sparkplugs?

1982 KZ1000 LTD parts donor
1981 KZ1000 LTD awaiting resurrection
2000 ZRX1100 not ridden enough
Last edit: 17 Dec 2018 06:32 by TexasKZ.

• Jessmansimon
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
17 Dec 2018 13:36 #795314 by Jessmansimon
It runs a ton better with the new coil. No misfiring anymore. But there's no telling how many miles were driven with the bad coil that was causing fouling. There's a total of 10k mikes on the bike. I know I rode about 600 or so miles with fouling. When I put a finger into the intake and look I can see and feel a rough and almost sticky surface in the cylinder. Will this clear up? It doesn't seem like it could just go away on its own.
I'll do some further tests on the cylinder in question. Like trying to get it to run on it's own and checking the new plug for new fouling evidence.

More
17 Dec 2018 14:09 - 17 Dec 2018 15:19 #795316 by 650ed

Jessmansimon wrote: ....................... When I put a finger into the intake and look I can see and feel a rough and almost sticky surface in the cylinder. ......................

I do not understand how one could put a finger through the intake and feel or see anything inside the cylinder. If nothing else, the intake valve would prevent one from doing this. Please explain further. Ed

1977 KZ650-C1 Original Owner - Stock (with additional invisible FIAMM horn)
Last edit: 17 Dec 2018 15:19 by 650ed.

More
17 Dec 2018 15:16 #795322 by Nessism
It's normal for there to be some carbon. I wouldn't worry unless it was running pig rich for many thousands of miles.

• Jessmansimon
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
17 Dec 2018 16:57 #795334 by Jessmansimon
Oh I just mean the metal passage from the carb throats to inside the cylinders has a rough coating and looks brownish, and also when I look down the spark plug hole, the same coating is present.