Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

Can you drill a jet to make it bigger? 10 Jul 2006 20:21 #60949

• kzmarvo
  • kzmarvo's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 0
My friend and i was thinkin on drilling our jets out to make em 120, they are 115 now. We both have open headers i am gonna have pods filters and i'm pretty sure he is as well. If you can drill them, what size drill bit would we use?:dry:
Watch it folks,i have sticky fingers when it comes to a nice looking set of handle bars:)

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Can you drill a jet to make it bigger? 10 Jul 2006 20:27 #60951

• kzmarvo
  • User
And its not to save 5$ it is just to say i modified my stuff myself, Although i am kinda thrifty.
Watch it folks,i have sticky fingers when it comes to a nice looking set of handle bars:)

Can you drill a jet to make it bigger? 10 Jul 2006 21:07 #60965

• kzmarvo
  • User
:whistle:

Can you drill a jet to make it bigger? 10 Jul 2006 21:17 #60968

• Pterosaur
  • Visitor
kzmarvo wrote:

:whistle:

It's known to be done, but if you think I'm gonna think hard enough to come up with an answer this time of night, you're bat-a$$-crazier than Tganek is! :woohoo:

Can you drill a jet to make it bigger? 10 Jul 2006 21:47 #60971

• wireman
  • Visitor
kzmarvo wrote:

And its not to save 5$ it is just to say i modified my stuff myself, Although i am kinda thrifty.

thrifty?:S sounds like youre tighter than 2 coats of paint!:P goodluck,happy wrenching!

Can you drill a jet to make it bigger? 10 Jul 2006 21:50 #60972

• kzmarvo
  • User
:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Can you drill a jet to make it bigger? 11 Jul 2006 03:32 #61012

• jbw7300
  • User
  • you can't ride if your fried
hey spring for the new jets, it'll make life so much easier, tring to hold those little buggers without damaging them while drilling is going to be a pain in the a$$ , anyway you look at it going into the carbs to replace the jets is more work than alot of people (present company excluded:P ) have done or will do to there bikes, but alas do what ye will but most of all have fun doing it
84 kz 700 a1 sports

Can you drill a jet to make it bigger? 11 Jul 2006 10:29 #61114

• apeman
  • User
  • Thank you received: 3
How do you know what drill size to use to get the hole size to 120? (Or am I totally dumb, and the drill size is 120?)
/
Petaluma and Truckee, CA -- member since Jan. 23, 2003;
PREVIOUS KZs: 1980 KZ750H with 108,000 miles; 1980 KZ750E with 28,000 miles; and KZ750H street/cafe project, all sold a few years back.

This is what I do for fun, not for work. It is art, with a little engineering thrown in.

Can you drill a jet to make it bigger? 11 Jul 2006 10:56 #61119

• EddieBoy
  • User
  • Thank you received: 1
no matter what anyone says i have drilled jets many times. its good to have a two sets to start with so you can over drill one set. i use a mini torch cleaning drill set that can be picked up at your local welding shop. not the rasp type file cleaner. the lil drill bit ones. i can send a pic of my set if you like.i just start with the next size drill that wont fit in the jet and drill them by hand. dont use power drills. oversize your jets then reinstall and run the motor down the hiway at cruising speed. then shut off the bike and pull the clutch and coast to a stop. pull the plugs there on the side of the road and check for a rich condition. ill do this until i get a rich condition and then drop down to the previous non rich condition then drill the other set to that. done! takes a lil time but is well worth it. i done this on holley carbed automotive motors for many years. just a lil harder on a bike. but if your doing it for the experience then it is time well spent learning to read your plugs. the # on the jet doesnt mean as much as the condition you are trying to create. just a lil easier to buy them but doesnt make em any better.thats why i scoop up all the ole junk carbs..just to have the extra jets. save em all in a lil box and # them for future reference.

Can you drill a jet to make it bigger? 11 Jul 2006 11:21 #61127

• kzmarvo
  • User
Yeah, i just wanted to do it so i could say i did, no biggie. I already ordered new ones, i just like to mess with stuff.;)

• Page: