KZ750H Return to stock exhaust? Or rejet carb?

• Seth82KZ750HLTD
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
23 Sep 2018 14:30 #791316 by Seth82KZ750HLTD
KZ750H Return to stock exhaust? Or rejet carb? was created by Seth82KZ750HLTD
Ok, looking for some advice. I have a 1982 KZ750H LTD 4 cylinder. It was sitting for 4 years and I have been waking it up. Carbs are fully cleaned, all pilots, jets, ports have been cleaned and double checked. All pilots and jets are stock. Engine mechanicals (compression, timing, valve clearances) are all good. Carbs are sync'd. Starts and idles well with the choke on. Revs with the choke on. Turn choke off and it bogs off idle, and when I do get it to rev, it slowly returns to idle. I've played with the idle mixture and have had them turned out as far as 4.5 turns.

It has the stock intake airbox on it, but an after market exhaust. Judging by pictures I can find, I believe its a MAC turnout style 4 into 2. Baffled, but significantly louder than a buddy's GPZ750 with a Kerker exhaust.

We pretty much have it narrowed down to the engine is running way too lean due to the exhaust system. So I have 2 options. Find a factory exhaust system and return it to 100% factory. Or get a DynoJet kit and rejet the carbs. DynoJet would probably be cheaper, but may result in additional putzing when I just want to ride before it gets cold out.

What say the masses? Is this the right direction to head?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
23 Sep 2018 14:57 #791318 by baldy110
Replied by baldy110 on topic KZ750H Return to stock exhaust? Or rejet carb?
Your carbs are still clogged up. Re-clean them and pay extra attention to the little passageways in the carb bodies. Make sure they are clear.

• Seth82KZ750HLTD
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
23 Sep 2018 16:03 #791321 by Seth82KZ750HLTD
Replied by Seth82KZ750HLTD on topic KZ750H Return to stock exhaust? Or rejet carb?
100% certain that carbs are not still plugged up.

More
23 Sep 2018 16:26 - 23 Sep 2018 16:38 #791322 by baldy110
Replied by baldy110 on topic KZ750H Return to stock exhaust? Or rejet carb?
Yes they are. Running only on choke is the symptom of clogged passageways. Most people take the float bowls off, take out the jets hose everything down with carb cleaner then put it all back together and call it good. That won't work, I takes me about 4 hours to properly clean a set. And sometimes it takes more than one cleaning to get it done especially on a set that is really nasty.
Last edit: 23 Sep 2018 16:38 by baldy110.

• hardrockminer
  • Sustaining Member
More
23 Sep 2018 17:13 #791324 by hardrockminer
Replied by hardrockminer on topic KZ750H Return to stock exhaust? Or rejet carb?
Everything I've read so far is about how the bike performs at idle. My question is how does it perform on the road? At 1/4 throttle? At 1/2 throttle? At 3/4 throttle?

If you have fuel/air screws, turning them out means more air and less fuel, which is the opposite of what you want at idle. In any case, out 4.5 turns is excessive. Your problem is not your exhaust...it's somewhere else.

I have several restored bikes along with a 2006 Goldwing with a sidecar. My wife has a 2019 Suzuki DR 650 for on and off road.

More
24 Sep 2018 00:14 - 24 Sep 2018 00:15 #791339 by kevski
Yes, problem is elsewhere, are your carb boots sealing properly, and are the vacuum stubbs all capped, put the air screws back to factory settings after you have sonic cleaned the carbs.
Last edit: 24 Sep 2018 00:15 by kevski.

• Seth82KZ750HLTD
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
25 Oct 2018 15:27 #792841 by Seth82KZ750HLTD
Replied by Seth82KZ750HLTD on topic KZ750H Return to stock exhaust? Or rejet carb?
Sorry for the delay in a follow up guys. Ended up pulling the carbs completely back off the bike intending to replace with pilot jets with a set 1 size larger and also install a Dynajet kit. Turns out the pilot jets I ordered were the wrong ones. So instead of spending $100 on a set of the correct jets, I ended up picking up a micro drill kit and started out just planning to drill the pilot jets a size larger. Turns out they were still partially clogged.

Drilled them to the factory size and installed the Dynajet kit. Reinstalled the carbs and put the bike completely back together. Bike fired up on the first try. No choke needed. Idled nicely, and revved nicely. Adjusted the idle needles (still need some more adjusting I think) and have put 72 miles on it since. Longest ride so far was 13 miles. Very happy with how it performs and slowly getting used an engine that likes the RPM's as opposed to the low-rpm, high torque I'm used to. (trucks)

Thanks again to everyone for the assistance. Hoping to get just 28 more miles on before the bike is parked for the winter. Not looking good. Rain forecasted through the weekend, and cold temps after that. Winter is quickly approaching here in Minnesota. But doesn't mean the riding season is over. My father-in-law has successfully rode his Valkyrie at least once around the block every month of the year.

More
25 Oct 2018 23:38 #792849 by gordone

Seth82KZ750HLTD wrote: Sorry for the delay in a follow up guys. Ended up pulling the carbs completely back off the bike intending to replace with pilot jets with a set 1 size larger and also install a Dynajet kit. Turns out the pilot jets I ordered were the wrong ones. So instead of spending $100 on a set of the correct jets, I ended up picking up a micro drill kit and started out just planning to drill the pilot jets a size larger. Turns out they were still partially clogged.

Drilled them to the factory size and installed the Dynajet kit. Reinstalled the carbs and put the bike completely back together. Bike fired up on the first try. No choke needed. Idled nicely, and revved nicely. Adjusted the idle needles (still need some more adjusting I think) and have put 72 miles on it since. Longest ride so far was 13 miles. Very happy with how it performs and slowly getting used an engine that likes the RPM's as opposed to the low-rpm, high torque I'm used to. (trucks)

Thanks again to everyone for the assistance. Hoping to get just 28 more miles on before the bike is parked for the winter. Not looking good. Rain forecasted through the weekend, and cold temps after that. Winter is quickly approaching here in Minnesota. But doesn't mean the riding season is over. My father-in-law has successfully rode his Valkyrie at least once around the block every month of the year.

Congratulation, a good feeling :)

1981 KZ650-D4, with 1981 z750L engine (Wiensco 810 big bore).

Project:
www.kzrider.com/forum/11-projects/607213...sr-1981-z750l-engine