Killed the clean air system, smoke now coming from exhaust

More
05 Sep 2018 13:25 - 05 Sep 2018 13:57 #790368 by oilynight
Earlier this summer my bike started idling poorly & stumbling off of the start. Pulled the carbs (Keihin CV34 with only the pilot & single jet) out, they were already spotless from being professionally ultrasonic cleaned but I cleaned them up again anyway.
I read on an old thread here that deleting the clean air system wasn't a bad idea to get rid of potential sources of vacuum leaks. So I removed all that tubing (a lot of it was hard & cracked near where it meets the stem on top of the valve cover), put in new plugs, and voila, it idles much more smooth now. However it smokes when I give it gas, which it did not do before I removed the clean air system. It's not a plume of smoke so it's hard to tell what color it is, but I'd say a greyish white. I thought maybe it's getting too much gas now so I adjust the mixture screws but the rpms are highest when the screws are all but out & the pipes still smoke. The only other thing I can think of is I know it's about time for a valve clearance adjustment, it's been about 4k miles since the last one.

Any ideas? I'm still green when it comes to diagnosing bike problems but I'm refusing to take it to the shop this year to force myself to learn. The extent of my knowledge comes solely from my FSM & this forum so thanks in advance!

1980 KZ750-H1
Last edit: 05 Sep 2018 13:57 by oilynight.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.