Still struggling with TK22s on '81 GPz550 ... one side has fuel, other side ...

More
03 Sep 2018 09:26 #790222 by chopper1963
I've been working on a 1981 GPz550 on and off for a while now.
Really struggling with carbs, stock TK22s. New from Kaw pilots, mains and needle and seat.
Can't seem to get them figured out.
Latest issue is ... no fuel to the RHS (front brake side) carbs. Put tank on, turn fuel on ... left two carbs will fill float chamber with gas and it will run through the drain on the bottom if you open the screw. Good fuel flow, seemingly.
Two carbs on RHS basically have, at the same time, little no no fuel. You can leave the drain open for a min before any fuel comes out and then it's just a small amount.
Floats are seemingly set at correct level.
Confirmed petcock and fuel filter flow good from the tank.

Is there a fuel passage to the RHS carbs that I can try to clean or blow out?

Suggestions welcome.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
03 Sep 2018 10:51 - 03 Sep 2018 10:54 #790231 by loudhvx
There is a way, but it's a lot of work to separate those carbs. The throttle shaft and bel-crank screws might get damaged.

If the bike is on the sidestand, the left two carbs would be the ones getting fuel. If they are allowed to drain at full flow, you might not get enough flow to fill the right hand carbs. The fuel pipe looks big, but keep in mind the holes in the carb bodies that the fuel must pass through are small so flow would not expected to be much more than a trickle. On the center stand you should be able to get all four draining pretty good.

Does the right side not get fuel even when the drains on the left side are shut off?

Here's a link to the routing on those carbs.
s3.amazonaws.com/gpzweb/TK22mainPage/TK2...TK22portRouting.html

Here is the main page for that website.
s3.amazonaws.com/gpzweb/TK22mainPage/TK22mainPage.html#home
Last edit: 03 Sep 2018 10:54 by loudhvx.
The following user(s) said Thank You: chopper1963

More
03 Sep 2018 11:59 #790236 by chopper1963
Thanks. I THINK I may have put the wrong tank on ... the one I have not yet cleaned and sealed.

Image here:
imgur.com/a/FmgVpG8

• hardrockminer
  • Sustaining Member
More
03 Sep 2018 14:48 #790248 by hardrockminer
Sometimes a lack of fuel in a carb can be caused by a sticky float. It can stick to the side of the bowl when you install it.

Try opening the fuel with the bowl off and see if your float valve is working correctly. If so then you likely have a float that is stuck closed when the bowl is installed.

I have several restored bikes along with a 2006 Goldwing with a sidecar. My wife has a 2019 Suzuki DR 650 for on and off road.