Carb float level

More
31 Aug 2018 11:43 #790060 by Calvin9819
Carb float level was created by Calvin9819
heyo, i've got an 82 kz550 C with TK-22 carbs in it, and i was going to do a complete carb rebuild over thw inter (Suspecting some fuel issues and leaking problems with mine) and i looked at setting the float level in my manual, but theres not much direction as to what angle the carb need to be at to set the correct float level... all it says is "tilt it until the float rests on the needle and adjust" but theres no angle or measurement listed that helps.. can anyone help me out?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Scirocco
  • Premium Member
  • Never change a running system
More
31 Aug 2018 12:11 - 31 Aug 2018 12:13 #790061 by Scirocco
Replied by Scirocco on topic Carb float level
How to set the float level, (clear tube) on TK-22 carbs.

Attachments:
Last edit: 31 Aug 2018 12:13 by Scirocco.

More
01 Sep 2018 13:26 - 01 Sep 2018 13:32 #790116 by loudhvx
Replied by loudhvx on topic Carb float level
The carbs should be set how they would be on the bike... nearly vertical. You can use vertical as the test standard because you are comparing the fuel level in the hose against a casting near the center point on the side of the carb. Thus, when you tilt the carbs forward or backward, the actual fuel level should be about the same at that center point of the carb. That is the important measure because that is where the jets are. You are setting fuel height in order to standardize the depth at which the jets are submerged under fuel. That effects fuel pressure at the jet and that effects the jet flow rate.

Obviously, side to side matters a lot. Make sure the carb rack is level from left to right, as if the bike was on the center stand. If the carbs are on the bike and you only want to verufy fuel levels, make sure the carbs are level left to right as you sit on the bike, then you can compare the clear tube against the outside carbs when you are checking the inner carbs. That way you don't need to remove the carbs to do a quick fuel level check.

The TK22 website can get you a rough estimate of how to set the floats dry when the carbs are open. This is necessary if you are using new valves because the replacement valves might be a different height from the original valves. (The needles might be a different length or the valve seat may be a different height.)

s3.amazonaws.com/gpzweb/TK22mainPage/TK2...stmentsAndMaint.html
Last edit: 01 Sep 2018 13:32 by loudhvx.

More
03 Sep 2018 09:12 - 03 Sep 2018 09:12 #790219 by Calvin9819
Replied by Calvin9819 on topic Carb float level
when i watched videos and they take out the carbs and float bowls, they put it at an angle and adjusted the tang on the float to raise or lower it to get the correct height like the picture below. Like using carpenter angle blocks to set the right angle before adjusting to the right height. I was wondering if anyone knew that angle it had to be at. The website says measure upside down, is that accurate? Has anyone rebuilt carbs on a bike like mine?
Attachments:
Last edit: 03 Sep 2018 09:12 by Calvin9819.

More
03 Sep 2018 09:55 - 03 Sep 2018 09:56 #790225 by loudhvx
Replied by loudhvx on topic Carb float level

Calvin9819 wrote: ... The website says measure upside down, is that accurate? Has anyone rebuilt carbs on a bike like mine?

Maybe you don't realize that is my website. I've rebuilt many sets of Tk22 carbs like yours. Along the way I documented some things and created that website for information that is not found in the manuals. The factory manual is what you should follow, but the website just adds a few handy details.

The manual specifies the clear tube method. There is no angle associated with it for the reasons I stated.

The dry float height can be specified at any angle, I did it upside down so I didn't have to hold the carbs while measuring. But you have to hold the float as specified in the website text.
Last edit: 03 Sep 2018 09:56 by loudhvx.