Petcock Questions

More
03 Aug 2018 12:15 #788138 by shrap66
Petcock Questions was created by shrap66
I have 2 old petcocks that came with my bike. Both are old and will probably need to be rebuilt. They are both On / Off / Res.  One has the two fittings next to each other, the other has 1 in the back and one on the side.

My carb is a VM26 pumper. I do not have a vacuum on the carb and I have two fittings for fuel lines between carb 1-2 and 3-4.

So question #1. To these old petcocks have any value ? Better to rebuild or replace by a new one ? Which one of my 2 is better ?

2nd question. Both my petcocks have two lines. I figure I need to run one line to the inlet between carb 1-2 and the other between 3-4 ?

I figure I would put a 90 degree inline filter so it will be easier to run the lines as I am using Goodyear type tubing.

Is clear tubing better ?

I looked at my manual and at the Clymer and can't find anything about that.

Any help would be appreciated. 

1979 KZ1000B3 LTD Glacier Green
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
03 Aug 2018 12:46 - 03 Aug 2018 12:49 #788141 by 650ed
Replied by 650ed on topic Petcock Questions
Goodyear 5/16" Fuel Hose SAE 30R7 Part # 65123 ( see www.summitracing.com/parts/gtr-65123 ) is far superior to clear tubing.  Clear tubing will become hard and brittle over time from heat and gasoline.  The Goodyear Hysunite fuel line will not, and it is perfect for use with gasohol and hot conditions.  I've been using it for 5 years and it works great!

In the past I've used clear tubing and I've used Gates Barricade fuel line - both types were really poor.  Ed

1977 KZ650-C1 Original Owner - Stock (with additional invisible FIAMM horn)
Last edit: 03 Aug 2018 12:49 by 650ed.

• hardrockminer
  • Sustaining Member
More
03 Aug 2018 13:43 #788143 by hardrockminer
Replied by hardrockminer on topic Petcock Questions
Sounds like the one with two outlets on the opposite side from the lever is the correct one for your bike.  Yes you can rebuild them with new gaskets.  The center section is not replaceable as far as I am aware, so if it leaks after gasket replacement then you should use for spare parts.

I have no experience with new petcocks so will defer to others.  

Yes you have the lines figured out.  I don't use clear hose for the reasons listed by 650ed, but I use quarter inch (ID) black gasline hose that can be purchased from any auto store.

A filter is a good idea, although I confess that I don't have any on my bikes at the moment.

I have several restored bikes along with a 2006 Goldwing with a sidecar. My wife has a 2019 Suzuki DR 650 for on and off road.