Drain screws/float bowl cant find parts!

More
24 Jun 2018 09:15 #785798 by Calvin9819
Drain screws/float bowl cant find parts! was created by Calvin9819
Hey all, ive looked all over ebay, z1, bike bandit, and i cant find drain screws or float bowls for my carbs. 82' kz550 C3, i believe they're TK-22 slide carbs. one is leaking and its causing a god awful gas smell in my garage! if anyone has any helpful links, i would be very grateful!!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Nessism
  • Away
  • Sustaining Member
More
24 Jun 2018 12:39 #785816 by Nessism
Replied by Nessism on topic Drain screws/float bowl cant find parts!
The source for the leak can be many things. It's always best to remove the carbs from the bike, do a full teardown, including unganging the carbs from the rack joining them together, and then taking a full inventory of all the parts. Most of the time you can reuse most/all of the hard parts and it's only the soft parts like O-rings and gaskets that need replacing. If that's the case then take appropriate action to find the needed O-rings and rebuild the carbs after cleaning all the parts in carb dip or an ultrasonic cleaner. The real trick in this process is to NOT shortcut the process. Most people are afraid of doing the job fully and they shortcut and then wind up having to do the job a second, or third, time before it's done right. OH, and don't buy any "carb kits", at least not until you figure out a full set of parts you may need.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Calvin9819

More
24 Jun 2018 16:45 #785830 by Calvin9819
Replied by Calvin9819 on topic Drain screws/float bowl cant find parts!
the carbs were recently done. Now, done right? i'm not sure. but i know that it runs, and the carbs are all cleaned out. i inspected them when i bought the bike to make sure. i know for sure the leak is from the drain. I cleaned all around the carbs when i replace the holders, and on top of the crankcase/transmission case. after a couple trips, the only spot with gas was on the line, and right below the right most carb. after shaking the bike a bit, i looked again and saw gas coming right out the plug. I tightened the screw as much as i could but i know with vibration it will come loose again.

plus, i dont have the money to rebuild the carbs right now unfortunately. Ill definitely be doing it when money is better because i want to know everything about my bike. Planning on doing a full resto on some bikes when i get the opportunity. Always wanted to do that.

for right now, i just need the screw/ o-rings and i don't know where to get them.

More
24 Jun 2018 18:09 - 24 Jun 2018 18:10 #785840 by TexasKZ
Replied by TexasKZ on topic Drain screws/float bowl cant find parts!
You might check out Lou's website or PM him. He knows a bunch about the TK carbs.

www.kzrider.com/kunena/profile/959-loudhvx

1982 KZ1000 LTD parts donor
1981 KZ1000 LTD awaiting resurrection
2000 ZRX1100 not ridden enough
Last edit: 24 Jun 2018 18:10 by TexasKZ.

More
24 Jun 2018 18:48 #785844 by TexasKZ
Replied by TexasKZ on topic Drain screws/float bowl cant find parts!
Are you sure you don't just need new orings on the drain screws? They show as still available at Partzilla.

1982 KZ1000 LTD parts donor
1981 KZ1000 LTD awaiting resurrection
2000 ZRX1100 not ridden enough

More
25 Jun 2018 05:49 - 25 Jun 2018 05:51 #785858 by martin_csr
Replied by martin_csr on topic Drain screws/float bowl cant find parts!
A metric nitrile or viton o-ring kit will probably have a size that's at least close enough if not the same. For something like a drain screw, close enough is okay. I got a kit from HarborFreight years ago & it has come in handy. Some auto parts stores sell individual o-rings from the kits.
Last edit: 25 Jun 2018 05:51 by martin_csr.

More
25 Jun 2018 08:09 #785870 by Calvin9819
ill check out partzilla and harbor freight, and that user. Thank you all!

More
25 Jun 2018 20:22 - 25 Jun 2018 20:27 #785905 by loudhvx
Replied by loudhvx on topic Drain screws/float bowl cant find parts!
The drain screws have two orings. A big one and a small one, but another common problem that has developed in the last 10 years or so is a cracked overflow tube. Inspect the internal standpipe overflow tube for cracks. I wonder if there is a dye you can use. If it is cracked it will have to be replaced or sleeved over with something.

The Tk22 website has descriptions of the oring sizes for the drain plug.
gpzweb.s3-website-us-east-1.amazonaws.co...TK22partsFiches.html

I never ungang the TK22's and have never had a problem. Whenever I see a TK22 setup with a bent throttle shaft, it's because someone tried to ungang the carbs. Those carbs are pretty difficult to ungang, but luckily they double-oringed every fuel feed connection so there are rarely any leakers (I have yet to see one). Yes, unganging is the only way to get at every nook and cranny (and Ed's advice should be followed as a rule), but it should not be tried by a novice without a lot of careful study and planning, and often causes unnecessary problems on the TK-22's. The shaft has to be supported properly in order to loosen the throttle arms, and it's not obvious to most novices how to do it.
Last edit: 25 Jun 2018 20:27 by loudhvx.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Nessism

• Nessism
  • Away
  • Sustaining Member
More
26 Jun 2018 07:12 #785915 by Nessism
Replied by Nessism on topic Drain screws/float bowl cant find parts!
Okay, I'll hedge on unganging the TK22's. I've never had to do that job before so the pitfalls are unknown to me. I will say though, as has been learned by rebuilding a good many carb sets from the KZ era, the O-rings on the fuel inlet Tee and fuel transfer tubes are almost always hard and petrified and the only way to refresh them is to ungang the carbs. Giving the carb bodies a good soaking and/or ultrasonic cleaning is the best way to clean the internal passages too.

Regarding cracked overflow pipes, I concur that it does happen. It's extremely common on Keihin carbs of the same era anyway. Blowing some air into the tube while plugging the end will show if the tube is cracked. A close up inspection with an eye loupe is a good tool as well.
The following user(s) said Thank You: loudhvx

More
26 Jun 2018 14:58 #785935 by loudhvx
That's a good trick for finding a cracked overflow tube.

More
02 Jul 2018 09:34 #786290 by Calvin9819
what is ungang?

More
02 Jul 2018 12:46 #786295 by loudhvx
separating from rack