• Page:

TOPIC:

KZ750 Spectre - Running, but only on two cylinders. 19 Jun 2018 19:03 #785473

• Nessism
  • Away
  • Sustaining Member
  • Thank you received: 2681
Is the bike stock or modified?

I'd adjust the valves straight away. Failing to do so damages the engine so why take a chance?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

KZ750 Spectre - Running, but only on two cylinders. 19 Jun 2018 19:26 #785475

• 82KZ750Clifton
  • 82KZ750Clifton's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 0

Nessism wrote: Is the bike stock or modified?

I'd adjust the valves straight away. Failing to do so damages the engine so why take a chance?

Stock that I know of. Has stock exhaust pipes, with air pods, but I put restrictions in the pods so it doesn't mess with the airflow too much.
You are correct about adjusting the valves, I may try to look up how to do it in the manual. I really need to get a paper manual. Ive been using a pdf service manual and its hard to operate. Is the Clymer manuals any good for the KZs?

KZ750 Spectre - Running, but only on two cylinders. 20 Jun 2018 15:48 #785528

• wiredgeorge
  • User
  • Thank you received: 44
It is almost always first step on a new to you bike to check valve clearances. Tuning carbs and fiddling with your ignition will not fix lack of compression. If you check compression and it is within service spec for your model, your clearances probably will be OK but feeler gauge will tell you for sure. I think the 750 has shim under bucket so cams will have to come out to make adjustments to clearance because you will be swapping shims.

When you said you completely rebuilt the carburetors did you:
1. check to see if there are plastic plugs in the pilot wells; some CV34s use them and some don't . They MUST be there if they are needed as gas as the ones that need them draw gas from the main jet well right next to the pilot well via a small hole and DO NOT draw gas from the bowl directly. If there is a small hole between the pilot and main well, the plugs must be used.
2. did you install new pilot (aka slow jets on Keihin carbs). I find cleaning pilot jets to be problematic and not worth the effort.
3. I assumed you checked the fuel level which should be 3 or 4mm below the gasket mating line using the clear tube method. Check a manual for the exact spec. Do this with the carbs OFF the bike as it is critical to get them level.
wiredgeorge Motorcycle Carburetors
Mico TX
www.wgcarbs.com
Too many bikes to list!

KZ750 Spectre - Running, but only on two cylinders. 20 Jun 2018 16:35 #785537

• Nessism
  • Away
  • Sustaining Member
  • Thank you received: 2681
Clymer manuals are inferior. You can find an I OEM manual on eBay.

Pods greatly affect fuel mixture but I doubt that's why the bike is misfiring.

Last edit: by Nessism.
  • Page: