Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

CV BS34 air jet ....if stripped can a helicoil be used? 12 Jun 2018 20:04 #785060

• RLBuddi
  • RLBuddi's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 2
CV BS34 idle air jet ....if threads in carb are badly stripped, can a threaded helicoil (no bottom) insert be used? If so, what size would be a good place to start? Please advise.

Thanks a million!!
Robin

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

CV BS34 air jet ....if stripped can a helicoil be used? 16 Jun 2018 10:22 #785260

• wiredgeorge
  • User
  • Thank you received: 44
I could probably help answer the question if I understood whan an idle air jet is. If you are talking about the pilot air jet on the edge of the venturi, not sure what type of Kawasaki carburetor has these that are screwed in. If you are talking about the pilot jet itself OR the pilot mixture screw, these sit in a well and don't have enough metal (meat) to install an insert.
wiredgeorge Motorcycle Carburetors
Mico TX
www.wgcarbs.com
Too many bikes to list!

CV BS34 air jet ....if stripped can a helicoil be used? 16 Jun 2018 11:22 #785267

• Nessism
  • Sustaining Member
  • Thank you received: 2675
I'm not sure what threads you are talking about either but I'll post up this photo to show you what can be done if you want it bad enough...

20170527_134643 by nessism , on Flickr

CV BS34 air jet ....if stripped can a helicoil be used? 16 Jun 2018 23:58 #785300

• RLBuddi
  • User
WiredGeorge - Sorry bout that, it's the "pilot air screw" ..thanks for the response.
Nessism - Not sure what exactly you are trying to tell me, but please go further, I'm listening. Thanks brother!!!

CV BS34 air jet ....if stripped can a helicoil be used? 17 Jun 2018 03:57 #785304

• wiredgeorge
  • User
  • Thank you received: 44
The part shown in the photo in the last post would technically be called a pilot mixture screw as it meters both air (through the pilot air jet) and fuel (through the pilot jet) coming out into the venturi. If you removed the screw, you could try chasing the well with a tap and if the screw is still in there, they are pretty hard to remove without a drill press and proper drill bit. EZ outs and lots o heat will work some times. There is not enough meat in the well to use an insert. In my business, when a stripped screw occurs and it won't come out easily with the proper tools, I just replace the carb body.
wiredgeorge Motorcycle Carburetors
Mico TX
www.wgcarbs.com
Too many bikes to list!

CV BS34 air jet ....if stripped can a helicoil be used? 18 Jun 2018 03:34 #785370

• RLBuddi
  • User
Thanks again for responding, I certainly appreciate any/all the helpful information I can get .

Yes, I do understand that it'd probably be best to simply replace the damaged carb body. Originally that was the plan, however, my
thorough search to find the correct carb body had only given me very few leads. The price quotes I'd received were way out of my reach financially. Therefore, I really was hopeful to maybe fix what'd gotten all screwed up.

I might have to just come to an understanding that I may not ride this season. It's only a few simple things left before the bike is completed, BUT seems financially not achievable right now.

Thanks a million!!
Robin L. Buddi

CV BS34 air jet ....if stripped can a helicoil be used? 18 Jun 2018 05:45 #785377

• Nessism
  • Sustaining Member
The carb photo that I posted shows a brass insert that was made for the pilot screw. The original threads were damaged and the proper carb body could not be located so an insert was made and installed. I don't know if your carb has similar damaged threads, I simply posted the photo to give you and idea of what can be done. It takes a lathe, drill press, tap, and reamer to do a job like shown so it's not trivial.
The following user(s) said Thank You: RLBuddi

CV BS34 air jet ....if stripped can a helicoil be used? 19 Jun 2018 14:30 #785442

• RLBuddi
  • User
What exactly was used for the brass insert? That is a rather involved process, BUT I just may try it, as I got nothing to lose. Please advise.

CV BS34 air jet ....if stripped can a helicoil be used? 19 Jun 2018 14:37 #785445

• Scirocco
  • Premium Member
  • Never change a running system
  • Thank you received: 1899
RLBuddi
Please upload a pic of your striped pilot air screw carburetor from outside and butterfly port side .

CV BS34 air jet ....if stripped can a helicoil be used? 19 Jun 2018 14:56 #785448

• RLBuddi
  • User
It's currently installed on the bike, as I figured I'd try something someone suggested the other day.

CV BS34 air jet ....if stripped can a helicoil be used? 19 Jun 2018 14:58 #785449

• Nessism
  • Sustaining Member

RLBuddi wrote: What exactly was used for the brass insert? That is a rather involved process, BUT I just may try it, as I got nothing to lose. Please advise.

Agree with Scirocco, please post up some photos of what you are dealing with. Maybe then we can offer suggestions.

In general, to make the insert like I did, first thing is to get a reamer of a suitable size and drill and then ream the carb body oversize. It's critical to do this so the new hole is on center with the original. This requires some careful setup so don't rush. Then turn a small piece of brass on a lathe leaving the OD about .001" larger than your hole, and then drill and thread the inside. Last step is to press your new bushing into the carb body.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Scirocco, RLBuddi

CV BS34 air jet ....if stripped can a helicoil be used? 19 Jun 2018 15:29 #785453

• Scirocco
  • Premium Member
  • Never change a running system
  • Thank you received: 1899
I agree with Nessism description.
DonĀ“t bent it over the knee,i mean no hurry.
Everything else lead you into a disaster, special things need some time/skills to fix it.
The following user(s) said Thank You: RLBuddi

Last edit: by Scirocco.
  • Page: