Adjusting the air screws

• SWest
  • Sustaining Member
  • 10 22 2014
More
06 May 2018 16:35 #782981 by SWest
Replied by SWest on topic Adjusting the air screws
The wire from Z1E will work. I'd replace the caps too.
Steve

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
06 May 2018 21:15 #782992 by TexasKZ
Replied by TexasKZ on topic Adjusting the air screws

SWest wrote: The wire from Z1E will work. I'd replace the caps too.
Steve

Definitely.

1982 KZ1000 LTD parts donor
1981 KZ1000 LTD awaiting resurrection
2000 ZRX1100 not ridden enough

More
06 May 2018 21:27 #782995 by Shdwdrgn
Replied by Shdwdrgn on topic Adjusting the air screws
The Dyna wires from Z1 that I linked above, or another brand? It looks like the Dyna wires already come with new spark plug caps pre-installed. Well actually I guess the NGK's from ebay have them preinstalled as well, although those had the resistor in the cap. Considering I'm running the original coils I'd say I should avoid all resistance in the lines if possible. :)

1981 KZ1000-JK1
She's a beautiful mess, and I've made her all mine

More
07 May 2018 05:56 #783003 by TexasKZ
Replied by TexasKZ on topic Adjusting the air screws
I apologize for my lack of clarity. I meant to definitely replace the boots (caps). Dyna ignitions have a good reputation, so I would have no reservations about those wires.

1982 KZ1000 LTD parts donor
1981 KZ1000 LTD awaiting resurrection
2000 ZRX1100 not ridden enough

More
07 May 2018 17:21 #783031 by Shdwdrgn
Replied by Shdwdrgn on topic Adjusting the air screws
@TexasKZ -- no worries and thanks for the additional info.

Checked the plugs after work today. Two of them look like what I would consider ideal -- they're not wet or black/sooty, but they're also not brown. One of them WAS brown, so I cracked the pilot open another 1/4 turn. One was partially wet but not sooty so I closed it 1/4 turn. Luckily both of the cylinders I adjusted were on the outside, so easy to get to. Then I did a cold start... not too bad but it's still not happy about idling until it gets up to temp. Went for a short ride but didn't feel any difference from my minor adjustments. I'll check the plugs again tomorrow and see how they look now, but I think their color is going to be my best indicator for fine-tuning.

One issue I did notice is that shortly after starting it, both pipes on the right are significantly hotter than the pipes on the left. There IS a good amount of heat on both sides, I just think they should all warm up at the same rate. I'm not horribly concerned at this point though since I still haven't balanced the carbs. The thing that does worry me is a kind of vvvvvv sound from the right side. Almost like air pressure escaping when I give it a little throttle. I just passed 200 miles though, so it's time to re-tighten everything I can get to and change the oil. Overall it's running pretty smooth though so I'm making progress...

1981 KZ1000-JK1
She's a beautiful mess, and I've made her all mine