81 kz650

• agrestixrock
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
30 Apr 2018 09:41 #782648 by agrestixrock
81 kz650 was created by agrestixrock
okay so i FINALLY got my bike running. at first it ran decent then a few minutes of riding when i gave it gas the carbs would gargle and die. i noticed after that i am missing the accelerator pump on carb #2 no casing or anything. not leaking any gas but i feel this has to be the issue. i cannot seem to find any replacement covers as i can find the parts themself. any idea where i can find replacements withoiut hav ing to buy an entire row of carbs?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
30 Apr 2018 10:03 #782649 by Saablord
Replied by Saablord on topic 81 kz650
partzilla to find the part # and then search online or ebay.

• agrestixrock
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
04 May 2018 20:49 #782882 by agrestixrock
Replied by agrestixrock on topic 81 kz650
i asked the shop i normally go to and they didnt have any in the back parts room but they gave me a normal float bowl and i just capped the vaccuum ports and its been running pretty good. i have no idea how long this bike has been sitting but think it needs a balancing for sure

More
05 May 2018 04:55 #782894 by JMKZHI
Replied by JMKZHI on topic 81 kz650
In the topic post you said you're missing the accelerator pump on carb #2 no casing or anything.
Did you mean the float bowl was missing or just the little triangular cover or what?
I know the bike is now running, but just being curious. :)

• agrestixrock
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
11 May 2018 09:24 #783212 by agrestixrock
it was missing just the little triangle and square covers on the float bowl. thinking its the pump and sensor. another bike shop said they probabky have one in the back but it will have to wait for the time being as ive spent what i was planning already

More
11 May 2018 13:07 #783218 by JMKZHI
Replied by JMKZHI on topic 81 kz650
Thanks. If you were missing the square cover, that would have been needed.
The triangle cover isn't needed, because the vacuum sensor was disabled at the factory on the KZ650CSR (ie, it wasn't drilled or machined to function), so the 1981 VM24 carburetors didn't have the triangular cover.

• DOHC
  • Sustaining Member
  • Those Doe-Hawks really go!
More
11 May 2018 19:13 #783228 by DOHC
Replied by DOHC on topic 81 kz650

agrestixrock wrote: they gave me a normal float bowl and i just capped the vaccuum ports and its been running pretty good.

That sounds like you've pretty much solved your problem. For some history, the bikes before '79 didn't have accelerator pumps. In '79 they patched them on to the existing carbs, I believe so they could run a leaner mixture to meet emissions requirements and still have acceptable throttle response. By '82 the VM slide-valve carbs were mostly all replaced by CV carbs. So the accelerator pumps were only used for a few years, as a band-aid to meet emissions.

You've basically reverted your set to pre-'79 carbs. However, I would look up the jets and needles used on a 1978 KZ650. Assuming they used the same size as yours (VM24? VM26?) , those parts would probably be better suited to a setup without the accelerator pumps.

The most likely issue you'd have with your current setup is that it's likely to stumble or fall flat if you whack open the throttle.

'78 Z1-R in blue , '78 Z1-R in black, '78 Z1-R in pieces
My dad's '74 Z1
'00 ZRX1100

• agrestixrock
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
15 Jun 2018 07:31 #785200 by agrestixrock
i was just wondering what bypassing the accelerator pump can cause if any issues. with it bypassed she has no hesitation on take off. however this morning i did notice when i started it and had the choke on while it warmed up the right side pipe was blowing out white smoke not the left. it stopped when i took the choke off. it wont start without choke when its been sitting a while. also my petcock is constantly feeding fuel because i have a yellow goop dripping from all carbs but with the bike on its stand it clearly runs towards #1&2 more.