KZ1000P jetting questions

More
27 Apr 2018 12:08 #782497 by Chris_R
KZ1000P jetting questions was created by Chris_R
Hey fellas, I have a 2001 KZP. So far I've installed a MAC 4-1 exhaust and a K&N filter in the stock air box. I did drill 4, 1/2 holes in the MAC baffle to open it up a little more.

Now, I know that the 40/140 combo seems to be the hot ticket if running pods but I'm not and don't plan on it due to tuning issues.

The stock jetting is 37.5/127.5

Now I think I may have introduced a little more air because of the K&N and I know that MAC states that re-jetting is not required with their 4-1 setup but I've also opened up that baffle a little bit.

I'm kinda leaning towards a 37.5/ 132.5 setup. That would be two sizes up on the main jet and leave the pilot alone.

I'm basing this off of some info I got from PJMotorsports. Here are the general rules that they go by:

· 1 jet size for custom 4 into 2 exhaust

· 2 jet sizes for 4 into 1 exhaust

· 1 jet size for K&N filter (single inside airbox)

· 1 jet size for drilling out the bottom of the airbox

· 2 jet sizes for both single K&N and drilled airbox

· 2 jet sizes for individual filters

· 2 jet sizes for no muffler (open header)

· 1 pilot jet size for every 3 main jet size increase

Add up all the jet size increases and subtract one. (Remember they go in steps of 2.5 for each jet size)

What do you guys think?

-Chris

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
27 Apr 2018 18:59 #782511 by DGA
Replied by DGA on topic KZ1000P jetting questions
You can read stuff off the internet for weeks, ask people to guess on what other's bikes needed... but there is no substitute for riding the thing and seeing what YOUR bike needs. Start with the idle mixture and work your way up. Does it need a ton of choke to get it running from cold? Then it's lean on the idle mixture. Run better on a cold day but seem flat on a hot day? It's probably rich. And don't rely on plug readings to tell you, although plugs do tell you a lot, they only are useful for WOT readings, and street bikes hardly are run at that setting for very long.

"83 KZ1100 Spectre, '81 Yamaha XV750 Cafe, '74 Kawasaki H2B 750
The following user(s) said Thank You: Chris_R

More
27 Apr 2018 21:30 - 27 Apr 2018 21:33 #782516 by Chris_R
Replied by Chris_R on topic KZ1000P jetting questions
Thanks for the reply.

I actually just ordered some 132.5's after finding some info on another forum posted by a gentleman named kopcicle. What he posted pretty much falls in line with what PJMotorsports suggested via the guide they sent me.

Here is the post:

I missed this thread originally and I apologize for that . I wrote this some time ago for a member and it still stands today As a side note I'll include base settings for our carbs .
Main 132.5 up from 127.5
leave the stock pilot alone
shim the needle up approximately .040 to .050"
The UNI FILTER foam replacement is probably a better deal but the K&N works
MY idle/pilot screw settings are what they are and what the engine demands ,not some arbitrary number of turns out from seat .
Read and pass it on as needed ...

So on my 2001 KZP with factory BS34 carbs I'll be running the factory 37.5 pilots with 132.5 main jets. I have a K&N drop in filter and a slightly modified MAC 4-1 exhaust.

I'll update this thread with the results of how shes runnin once I get her all back together.

-Chris
Last edit: 27 Apr 2018 21:33 by Chris_R.