ISSUES: NEED CARB ID AND FUEL ISSUES

• aquaholic
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • 1981 KZ1000 J1
More
12 Feb 2018 11:20 - 12 Feb 2018 16:41 #778615 by aquaholic
ISSUES: NEED CARB ID AND FUEL ISSUES was created by aquaholic
1981 KZ1000J model. Finally got the bike to pop using Starting Fluid (I know .... bad idea) for a bit but I can't tell you how happy that makes me. Now I know it's just a fuel issue. Took the carbs apart today and didn't see anything wrong. I do have a question that maybe you can answer. I had purchased an extra set of cars from someone and took the best looking ones and cleaned them up and rebuilt them. In the attached picture there are 2 carbs on top of each other. I am using the bottom set. The bottom one has the place for a COASTING ENRICHER, From FSM item #'s 25, 40, 41, 28 and associated hardware ? 3 of my rebuilt carbs have them and one doesn't (#4). What do they do and should my 1981 KZ1000J have them ? If so should all 4 have them, or just one, or is 3 of them OK ? lol.
Question #2 is, which carb is supposed to have the vacuum line from the gas tank ? I have the 2 vacuum lines from the vacuum modules hooked up to carbs 1 & 4 like the FSM tells me but I'm not sure if the blanked off vacuum port should be on #2 or #3 or even if it matters.
I have good fuel from the tank and carb levels are set. WHY AM I NOT GETTING GAS TO THE CYLINDERS ?
At this point I am thinking abut finding some rebuilds and saving money to get them lol. Once again any help from This group is very much appreciated.
Attachments:
Last edit: 12 Feb 2018 16:41 by aquaholic. Reason: Changed COASTING RESTRICTOR TO ENRICHER

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
12 Feb 2018 18:58 #778661 by TexasKZ
Replied by TexasKZ on topic ISSUES: NEED CARB ID AND FUEL ISSUES
The coasting enrich ner is to reduce popping on deceleration. All four carbs should have it. It is not really necessary, but trying to use a carb designed with one without the parts installed could make the mixture wickedly lean as the vacuum passage will be open to the atmosphere.

1982 KZ1000 LTD parts donor
1981 KZ1000 LTD awaiting resurrection
2000 ZRX1100 not ridden enough
The following user(s) said Thank You: aquaholic

• aquaholic
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • 1981 KZ1000 J1
More
13 Feb 2018 11:47 #778698 by aquaholic
Replied by aquaholic on topic ISSUES: NEED CARB ID AND FUEL ISSUES
OK I'll try this again lol. I hit quick reply after my last writng and it disappeared. The 3 carbs I am trying to use have the ENTIRE Coasting Enricher system Installed. The picture I attached to the original posting showed the carb I am using disassembled (the bottom one in the picture). The 1 carb I am trying to use (like the top one in the picture) does not have the Coasting Enricher OR a place for one. I guess my original post was lacking info. I didn't mean that I was trying to use the 3 carbs that have the Enricher without the guts (they are complete and NOT open to the atmosphere). I guess my question boils down to this without confusing me or you anymore is this. I have 3 complete carbs with the Coasting Enricher installed and working. I have 1 carb that does not have a place for a Coasting Enricher. Is it OK to run this carb set-up ? Thanks for your replies and I look forward to your answers as always. Be well, jon

More
13 Feb 2018 12:40 #778703 by McZed
Replied by McZed on topic ISSUES: NEED CARB ID AND FUEL ISSUES
I have a Z1000 J1. All four carbs should be the same. The J1 came with two slightly different carbs. One type had the coasting enricher, the other didn’t. It looks like a previous owner has replaced one of them. That said, I wouldn’t think that would make a lot of difference provided mixtures were all set up correctly. On my bike the vacuum comes off two carbs onto a “T” piece then to the fuel tap. The other two are blanked off with rubber caps. Make sure all your float levels are properly set, and make absolutely sure you blow carb cleaner then compressed air if you have it, thru every orifice these carbs have. I think I once posted pictures of my carbs on here, although that was a while back.
Hope this helps.

More
13 Feb 2018 12:49 #778704 by McZed
Should have added. Check your fuel tap is working ok, and have it set to "prime" when you start the engine. Apologies if this is an obvious comment.
:unsure:

• aquaholic
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • 1981 KZ1000 J1
More
13 Feb 2018 17:17 #778724 by aquaholic
Thank you McZed. I have 2 vacuum hoses from #1 and #4 carbs into a tee fitting that go to my canisters and one from my fuel tap that goes to either #2 or #3 carb (not sure which one it is supposed to go to) and the other one is blanked at the carb. What year is your J1 ?
The reason for the one carb without the coasting enricher is because I had purchased a replacement set and took the best of the 8 to make a good set WHILE NOT PAYING ATTENTION to the carb bodies lol. I just need to know if I can run with the 3 enrichers and one not. Thanks again. jon

More
13 Feb 2018 23:07 #778735 by McZed

Mine is also a 1981.
Attachments:

• aquaholic
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • 1981 KZ1000 J1
More
16 Feb 2018 09:25 #778870 by aquaholic
McZed, Very sharp looking ride. After rebuilding the carbs AGAIN and finding some jets I missed on the first go around, She fired and ran for the first time since 1988. To say I was overjoyed would be mild lol. I only ran it for a few seconds to make sure it was running on gas and not starting fluid so I didn't burn any valves. Now its back to polishing or painting the exhaust so I can get a long run out of it and break in the rings. Thank you again to everyone who gave their advice and led me down the correct path. So now its on to the "painting exhaust pipes" forum. Be well and thanks again. jon
The following user(s) said Thank You: McZed