Idle mix screw not seating properly?

More
29 Jan 2018 16:06 - 29 Jan 2018 16:12 #777997 by retka
Recently purchased a set of 1978 pre-accel. pump carbs to have as a backup set, and to eventually transition to use on my bike. I didn't catch this right away, but the idle mix screw seems to be seated too far into the carb, and to have pierced the inlet throat of the carb. Judging from the parts that were in the bowl area, I believe the jets and idle mix screws were from a non-oem rebuild kit (likely from Ebay or equivalent).

I played around with the screws, and where the screw is located currently is where it feels like it seats properly...feeling resistance if turned any further, but takes little to no resistance to get to this point. FWIW, I replaced the o-rings with equivalent sized one from a Harbor Freight kit I have. There are small holes in all four carb throats, so I take it this is happening with all four carbs, but haven't seen this before and didn't seem normal.

Wondering if anyone has any suggestions into what exactly is going on? I'd like to use this set of carbs, but am not sure where to set the "default X turns out" position on the screws given that this doesn't seem correct. Up until now, I've only had air bleed screws, but those seated properly and were easy to tell when they were seated but without carb damage. Thinking best course of action is to order a new set of idle mix screws (OEM), and carefully apply some JB weld into each hole to fill. Thoughts?

1981 KZ650H1 CSR
Virginia
Attachments:
Last edit: 29 Jan 2018 16:12 by retka.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
29 Jan 2018 17:29 #777998 by Nessism
Replied by Nessism on topic Idle mix screw not seating properly?
Don't think the screw sticking up will hurt anything. Think I'd blunt the tip a little. Tune by running condition, not the number of turns. Starting point should be about 1 turn anyway.
The following user(s) said Thank You: retka

More
29 Jan 2018 19:36 #778003 by retka
Replied by retka on topic Idle mix screw not seating properly?
I'll give it a try...these carbs are much better condition and the slides are buttery smooth so I'd really like to use these but was just worried with the points up. Despite them being on the bottom of the carbs, I guess a stubby screw driver won't be too hard to shove under to adjust even when on the bike w/ air ducts on. Thanks as always!

1981 KZ650H1 CSR
Virginia

More
30 Jan 2018 18:29 #778045 by RonKZ650
Replied by RonKZ650 on topic Idle mix screw not seating properly?
The fuel mixture screws are tapered so steeply, it's hard to tell when lightly seated. Continue turning, they turn many additional turns and end up sticking out the way these are. The screws and/or the carbs are damaged when this happens, but with any luck you can still get mixture somewhat close to correct, but don't go by "X" amount of turns from lightly seated,. One carb may need 5 turns out, another one only 1 or two turns. I hate all carbs, but these fuel mixture type are the worst.

321,000 miles on KZ's that I can remember. Not going to see any more.