VM29 Smoothbore

More
26 Jan 2018 00:59 #777785 by Racerdad
VM29 Smoothbore was created by Racerdad
I was going through all these parts I have laying around my garage that i have no use for and putting them in totes for a swap meet this weekend. I came across a rack of mikuni carbs. Really no identifiers on them so i did some research, and measuring, and picture cross-referencing and as far as i can tell, they are legit complete 29mm smoothbores. So I looked around and the last set I could find sold on ebay for $720 in 2015. Granted those were a bit cleaner then mine. Question is, what are they worth right now? Now that I know what they are, im debating on even taking them to the swap meet and possibly sitting on them. Any help would be appreciated. Also, i received most of my education on these carbs from this forum. So I signed up, and this is my first post. Thanks in advance and thank you to all the knowledgeable people here.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
26 Jan 2018 02:00 - 26 Jan 2018 02:04 #777786 by zed1015
Replied by zed1015 on topic VM29 Smoothbore
Here's some 29 smoothie pics to confirm what you have.
The main identifier is the little square casting and the drilling arrangement in the mouth of the carbs.

AIR CORRECTOR JETS FOR VM CARBS AND ETHANOL RESISTANT VITON CHOKE PLUNGER SEAL REPLACMENT FOR ALL CLASSIC AND MODERN MOTORCYCLE CARBURETTORS
kzrider.com/forum/23-for-sale/611992-air-corrector-jets-

Attachments:
Last edit: 26 Jan 2018 02:04 by zed1015.

More
26 Jan 2018 05:55 #777796 by Racerdad
Replied by Racerdad on topic VM29 Smoothbore
Here's some pics of mine
Attachments:

• Nessism
  • Away
  • Sustaining Member
More
26 Jan 2018 06:01 #777799 by Nessism
Replied by Nessism on topic VM29 Smoothbore
Yup, you have VM29's. You can check ebay "sold" auctions to gauge value. Realize though, between ebay and paypal they will ding the seller for about 15% of the combined sale + shipping price so you have to deduct that before understanding how much goes in your pocket.

I've rebuild and resold a few sets of those and if you got $750 clear in your pocket I'd say you did well.

More
26 Jan 2018 06:19 #777802 by Racerdad
Awesome! Thank You! There's a vintage bike show and swap meet local to me this weekend. I'll try my luck there. I took the bowls off and there was no sign of ethanol crap. I was very impressed.

More
26 Jan 2018 08:38 #777811 by KZB2 650
Replied by KZB2 650 on topic VM29 Smoothbore
Thanks Nessium I was wondering how much you sold the carbs for you had (nice job on rebuilding them) ..... I got mine in 1983 for 299 bucks new from Racecrafters in California and probably have another 200 in parts and holders.

Was very tempted to sell them this last year but decided to throw the cash in em and they did pick up a little power. Have sold to many things over the years and regretted it and will put these in the will for my boys and wife to sell.

1978 KZ650 b-2
700cc Wiseco kit 10 to 1.
1980 KZ750 cam, ape springs, stock clutch/ Barnett springs.
Vance and Hines Header w/ comp baffle and Ape pods, Dyna S and green coils, copper wires.
29MM smooth bores W/ 17.5 pilots, 0-6s and 117.5 main
16/42 gearing X ring chain and alum rear JT sprocket.

More
26 Jan 2018 08:45 #777812 by Racerdad
What do you mean by "putting money into them"? Standard rebuild? Dyna jet kit or equivalent? Or do you mean the upgrades that Z1enterprizes offers as far as slide?

More
26 Jan 2018 09:07 #777813 by KZB2 650
Replied by KZB2 650 on topic VM29 Smoothbore
Had a couple float seats leaking and slowly over flowing so I replaced all of them (found that out while bench checking the fuel level thank God since they don't have drains in the bowl) along with the o rings and bowl gaskets. Jet blocks and gaskets I left alone and since I was always very easy on tightening the main jets I think are still ok. No jetting kit just standard pilots, needles and mains.

Top gaskets I did a while back and were still pretty good had to replace the bowl drain plugs when I did them around the mid 2000s. The bowls must be made a little tougher as the threads are still pretty tight and it was the plugs that wore. (A lot of jet changes at the start and draining them for the winter and am a little easier on tightening them also since.

1978 KZ650 b-2
700cc Wiseco kit 10 to 1.
1980 KZ750 cam, ape springs, stock clutch/ Barnett springs.
Vance and Hines Header w/ comp baffle and Ape pods, Dyna S and green coils, copper wires.
29MM smooth bores W/ 17.5 pilots, 0-6s and 117.5 main
16/42 gearing X ring chain and alum rear JT sprocket.

More
26 Jan 2018 09:23 #777814 by Racerdad
I understand. Float needles and gaskets is standard replacement stuff. I dont know when the last time this rack was on a bike. I was the GM and lead tech of a Powersports shop for almost seven years. We shut that shop down and it was basically a free for all for tall the miscellaneous parts laying around. So that was 7 years on a shelf at tjat shop. Who knows how long they were on a shelf at the owners previous shop. Believe me when I tell you that the inside doesnt look like it's ever had ethanol gas through it. With that said, i myself would recommend going through them and replacing the rubber components and float needles. But to be honest, i have 0 dollars in them. I honestly don't recall even grabbing them. Most of the stuff that was laying around in that Powersports shop ended up in my personal garage. Whole bunch of randomness. So when I figured out exactly what they were last night, i was very surprised!

• Nessism
  • Away
  • Sustaining Member
More
26 Jan 2018 09:32 #777817 by Nessism
Replied by Nessism on topic VM29 Smoothbore
Mikuni doesn't sell float needles by themselves and aftermarket suck. You have to replace both needle and seat as a set.

More
26 Jan 2018 09:43 #777819 by Racerdad
Oh, of course. As a set is the only way to do it if applicable. I'm going to clean them up a bit, but im not going to put any money into them as the swap meet starts first thing in the morning.