Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

Carb Identification 23 Sep 2017 16:04 #771535

• Fah_kingeye
  • Fah_kingeye's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 0
Hello Everyone! Complete and total Noob here when it comes to motorcycles, but im an overall tool/work friendly guy picked up my first two and a half project bikes 77' kz650 and an 81' kz650! I'm starting with the 81 as it is mostly completely built already just need carbs reworked and a battery (hopefully :P ) I'm having trouble figuring out what carbs I have though (possibly mixed years?) as well as what parts kit to order for the rebuild. So... Here are some pics let me know if anything else will help in identifying and I'll see what I can do.

Attachment not found

Attachment not found

Attachment not found

Attachment not found

Attachment not found

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Carb Identification 23 Sep 2017 16:56 #771539

• 650ed
  • User
  • Thank you received: 2828
The carbs in your top picture are Mikuni VM24SS carbs with the accelerator pump. They would be correct for the 1981 KZ650. The carbs on 1977 KZ650 models did not come with the accelerator pump. As far as ordering kits to “rebuild” the carbs – I wouldn’t do it. In addition to gaskets the kits generally include metal parts which are not as precise as the original parts. Also, unless someone has done something with a hammer or chisel the Mikuni VM24SS carb metal parts do not normally wear. I speak from personal experience – I’ve owned my 1977 KZ650 since it was new (40+years) and the only things I’ve ever replaced on the carbs are the bowl gaskets. I suggest you simply clean the carbs and replace any gaskets that are damaged. You might need to replace some of the rubber pieces, but I have never needed to do that.

Also, keep in mind that none of the cross-head screws on the Kawasaki are Phillips, they are Japanese Industrial Standard (JIS) and using a Phillips screwdriver will damage them. See the links below for more info. Ed

www.kzrider.com/forum/10-new-members/606715-new-here#768867

www.kzrider.com/forum/10-new-members/606715-new-here#768868
1977 KZ650-C1 Original Owner - Stock (with additional invisible FIAMM horn)
The following user(s) said Thank You: Fah_kingeye

Carb Identification 23 Sep 2017 18:02 #771544

• Fah_kingeye
  • Fah_kingeye's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 0
Thanks for the quick response! I've gone through 2 of the carbs already and everything looks really good, mostly just looked bad from the outside barely any varnish whatsoever on the inside thankfully, there are a couple of orings that have seen better days but other than that hopefully I'll be up and running soon!

Carb Identification 24 Sep 2017 05:08 #771564

• martin_csr
  • User
  • Thank you received: 1620
Z1Enterprises.com has most of the typical maintenance parts to redo the carburetors. gaskets. o-rings. starter/choke plunger caps. A couple of those parts are still available at the Kawasaki dealer. In the diagrams at Partzilla if they show a photo then a part should still be available at the dealer. if no photo, then probably not. A metric nitrile or viton rubber o-ring kit should have some of the needed sizes. I got a kit from Harbor Freight which had the correct sizes for the main-jet/bleeder-pipes, pump nozzles & drain screws. It did not have a good size for the starter/choke plunger o-ring. The kit has come in handy for other stuff. forks. fuel tank. etc.

Triangular vacuum sensor. The vacuum sensor on my carburetors was disabled at the factory & did not come with the triangular cover. 1981 650-CSR --- VM24 carbs w accelerator pump. The K&L accelerator pump kit includes the vac sensor diaphragm, but I didn't need it.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Fah_kingeye

Last edit: by martin_csr.
  • Page: