Carb and air filter questions kz750 Twin

More
17 Sep 2017 21:06 #771134 by Lrrice
So, from what I have read these bikes don't like air pods. Are they picky about after market filters in the air box if so which filters do you recommend?

I tore down my carbs to clean out years of setting around and see what presents the PO might have left me. It seems like he was in the process of rebuilding them.  One had new gaskets and hadn't had fuel in it the other had new gaskets and varnished fuel like he had set the level in one but not the other.  To make a short story long, after easy outing some buggered up pilot jets and freshing out the threads,both damaged by lousy fitting screwdrivers, I noticed the pilots jets in all four carbs and in the parts bags I have are 45s.  The manual says they should be 40s.  Is this going to cause problems?  If so, any suggestions on where to get quality replacement jets?   The mains are the right size but the metering rods were on the groove closest to the taper.  Seems like the PO was trying to make it run richer.  Is this indicative that he was possibly trying to run pods?

L Rice. 1976 KZ 750B1 Twin

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
18 Sep 2017 05:36 #771141 by 650ed
Replied by 650ed on topic Carb and air filter questions kz750 Twin
Simple - use the stock Kawasaki air filter. Ed

1977 KZ650-C1 Original Owner - Stock (with additional invisible FIAMM horn)
The following user(s) said Thank You: Lrrice

More
18 Sep 2017 08:16 #771162 by Lrrice
Replied by Lrrice on topic Carb and air filter questions kz750 Twin
That would be ideal if I could find them. Not sure if they are made by Kawasaki any more. I'm not having a lot of luck finding filters that aren't aftermarket.

More
18 Sep 2017 08:54 #771164 by 650ed
No eBay APP ID and/or Cert ID defined in Kunena configurationYou're correct; they are discontinued from Kawasaki. Also, they don't appear to be readily available from US. sources. For some reason they do seem to be available from Europe on eBay, but of course they are not inexpensive. If you do an eBay search using part number 11013-051 you will see what I saw.

Here's one in the US, but you would need to make the foam sealing ring for each end of it.

Ed

More
18 Sep 2017 10:58 #771167 by Lrrice
Replied by Lrrice on topic Carb and air filter questions kz750 Twin
Do these usually run a foam precleaner as well? There were some rotten bits of foam in the air box but no filter just the screens.

• Nessism
  • Away
  • Sustaining Member
More
18 Sep 2017 11:20 - 18 Sep 2017 13:24 #771168 by Nessism
Replied by Nessism on topic Carb and air filter questions kz750 Twin
No eBay APP ID and/or Cert ID defined in Kunena configurationIf you are planning on running the stock airbox I'd get some of the proper 40 pilot jets. Jetsrus.com sell real-deal Mikuni jets. You can get them on Amazon and Dennis Kirk too. Gotta dig around some, but they are out there.

Uni makes a foam air filter that will fit the stock airbox. Oil up the foam with motor oil and then squeeze out all the excess (blot with paper towel) and it will work fine. Quite a few bikes, such as many Suzuki GS's, came stock with oiled foam filters back in the day.

Oil up the foam with motor oil and then squeeze out all the excess and it should be fine.
Last edit: 18 Sep 2017 13:24 by Nessism.

More
18 Sep 2017 12:49 #771171 by 650ed

Lrrice wrote: Do these usually run a foam precleaner as well? There were some rotten bits of foam in the air box but no filter just the screens.

No. The stock 1976 KZ75-B1 just uses a pleated filter. Take a look at the link below for a parts diagram that shows the filter and its part number. Ed

www.powersportswarehouse.com/p/Kawasaki#...0-B1-1976/070058C-12