Which carb rebuild kit?

More
13 Sep 2017 05:21 #770825 by whitskz
Which carb rebuild kit? was created by whitskz
I bought loose carbs for my bike so I don't exactly know what year model they came from. Looking at Z1 website the kits are broken down by year. I'm almost certain I have VM26, just need the most complete kit to get these dang carbs right.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
13 Sep 2017 06:17 - 13 Sep 2017 06:32 #770828 by martin_csr
Replied by martin_csr on topic Which carb rebuild kit?
To verify what they are you could post a photo of the carbs & measure the carburetor bore near the slides. If you don't have a set of calipers, you could make a 26mm gauge from milk jug plastic or something.
Also, it helps to mention what motorcycle it is.
Last edit: 13 Sep 2017 06:32 by martin_csr.

More
13 Sep 2017 07:06 #770831 by whitskz
Replied by whitskz on topic Which carb rebuild kit?
They are 26mm in the bore and are on a 78 kz1000 motor, but, I have no idea exactly what year bike the carbs came from. I'll try to get some pics. The pilot screw is on the bottom, there is no air screw.

• Nessism
  • Away
  • Sustaining Member
More
13 Sep 2017 07:22 - 13 Sep 2017 14:42 #770832 by Nessism
Replied by Nessism on topic Which carb rebuild kit?
cycleorings.com has a VM O-ring kit. That, along with bowl gaskets, should be all you need unless there are stripped jets or the float needles are trashed.

The original brass jets were high quality "made in Japan" Mikuni parts. Jets don't typically wear out so a good cleaning in carb dip will bring them back to usable condition 90% of the time. Aftermarket carb kits are typically full of Chinese made imitation parts. The jets may not even be the correct numbers for your bike. Buyer beware.
Last edit: 13 Sep 2017 14:42 by Nessism.

More
13 Sep 2017 08:47 #770834 by kevski
Replied by kevski on topic Which carb rebuild kit?
also check there is no step on the pilot screws as these tend to be over tightened and end up stepped and can make it difficult to get the mixture right, the jet in the float bowl for the enricher pick up has a tendancy to be gummed up at times so a good sonic clean and blow through to clear these out will definately help with starting.

More
13 Sep 2017 09:28 #770835 by whitskz
Replied by whitskz on topic Which carb rebuild kit?
I'm thinking I have needle and seat issues since even after setting the float level wet, fuel will randomly puke out of the overflow spout. Jets are already wrong for the bike, exhaust and pods. Was hoping to refresh everything