carb jetting and adjustemnt on kz 1000 1977

More
06 Sep 2017 00:41 #770436 by perrineric
hello ! i need some help to fix a carb jetting on kz 1000 1977 A1 , vm 26 carb , emgo pod, with kz 900 repro muffler (4 in for 4)
air mixture screw is under the front of the carb
actuelly i have jet 20 and 120 clip level 4 on needle 5cn8 ,
i always to rich , some back fire and pop
air screw 1/2, 1 or 1 1/8 no change , in what range should i be ? is my jetting to bg for the 900 z kawa exhaust sytem ?
Thanks for your help

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
06 Sep 2017 01:34 - 06 Sep 2017 02:14 #770437 by zed1015
Replied by zed1015 on topic carb jetting and adjustemnt on kz 1000 1977
Couple of issues here. assuming the motor is in good condition.
Main one is those cheap EMGO filters.
They are rubbish, very restrictive and limit air flow.
These will cause the carbs to pull too much fuel and always give a rich condition no matter what jets you have so first job will be to replace them with a known quality free flowing filter such as K&N's or RamAir's.
The second issue which can cut power and top speed by up to a third is the pattern Z900 4/4 exhaust.
The internals on these were modelled on one of the most restrictive systems Kawasaki made and will strangle the hell out of the motor.
Just changing the filters should help rectify the over rich condition but the exhaust will be a big limiting factor on top speed and acceleration.
On the stock motor with just the free flowing filters (and that pattern pipe) your initial base line carb settings should be in the range of - pilot 20 - 115 main - needle middle groove. - FUEL mix screw (under carb) 1 -1/4 to 1 3/4 turns out.
You could always test run the bike with the above carb settings and the Emgo's removed to see how the mixture improves.

AIR CORRECTOR JETS FOR VM CARBS AND ETHANOL RESISTANT VITON CHOKE PLUNGER SEAL REPLACMENT FOR ALL CLASSIC AND MODERN MOTORCYCLE CARBURETTORS
kzrider.com/forum/23-for-sale/611992-air-corrector-jets-

Last edit: 06 Sep 2017 02:14 by zed1015.
The following user(s) said Thank You: perrineric

More
06 Sep 2017 09:18 #770454 by perrineric
Replied by perrineric on topic carb jetting and adjustemnt on kz 1000 1977
Hello thanks for the reply ! I will try this setting with kn filter , i agreed emgo pods are very low quality air filter ! Fisrt i will have to fix an other problem , i blowed the head gasket , 3th cylinder now have a leak on the back ! I don't know if it could be the fact of the restrictive exhaust or bad carb setting or too much time in testing motor on the central stand , few day ago , my cylinder 3 begun to have an anormal noise , like irregular combustion , i checked the advance, gap etc (static with voltmeter), it was good but checking with the strombo , i found something weird ! coil number 2 firing cylinder 2 and 3 : plug on the 3th cylinder spark plug wire , my stombo ligth on the 1-4 mark and some time go back on the 2-3 mark , plugged on on the 2 cylinder it's always ligtening on 2-3 mark and same thing for cylinder 1-4 , cylinder 1 ligth sometime on the 2-3 mark but cyl 4 nnever does( strombo ligtening on the good mark 1-4 . Checked all connection every thing was good , coil voltage , ground , short circuit etc , found nothing anormal , for me i was tecnikly impossible as each coil are connected on a differente ruptor so i wonder if my problem was not due to a begin of head gasket trouble . could a blowing head gasket give a fake reading with the stromboligth ?
thanks !

• Nessism
  • Away
  • Sustaining Member
More
06 Sep 2017 10:04 #770458 by Nessism
The following user(s) said Thank You: perrineric

More
07 Sep 2017 09:07 #770530 by perrineric
Hi! thanks Nessism for this info ! it's much more cheaper than KN ! i have a set looking like ape pod but not sure. how to be sure sure it's Ape ? any indentification on it ? , do they need to be oiled ?
thanks!

More
07 Sep 2017 09:36 #770533 by perrineric
hello ! well , i didnt have enougth time to test yesterday but at list i fixed (for the moment ) my head gasket leak , i was torked at 2,8 mkg,
someboby told me it was not enough , i should have 3,8 to 4 mkg tork on the head , i did it and no more leak , hoping it last .
this stopped back fire, and most of the poping . (keeping the same carb setting )
today i will change the carb setting folowing your info and i will come back to you

About my ignition trouble , it is not completely fixed , i changed the coil , and still have trouble on cylinder 3 , so i unplugged the wire
with the this spark plug cap and connected it on cylinder 2 , and this tranfsered the problem of the cylinder 3 to the 2 , i may have a faulty spar plug cap , i will change it today, may be i will have better result !

More
15 Sep 2017 09:24 #770951 by perrineric
hello i tested on the road , it was working well on the central stand , but was very differente on the road , big hole at 2500 to 45000 rpm ,than works well after 4500 to 6000 but it have difficulties to go upper than 6500 rpm
as the iddle is good may be 17,5 is enough ? 115 may be to small ?
i have now may 2,00jet i will install today or monday, if you have any idea , please tell me !
thanks!