Trouble staring after servicing carb floats

More
05 Aug 2017 12:44 #768399 by rich1ll1
Yesterday morning I let my bike warm up for a few minutes before work with the choke on. Lo and behold, I come out and my carbs are dripping gasoline from the right side overflow port and through the gasket of the float bowl itself. Today I lowered the carbs, cleaned out the float bowls, and replaced the gaskets, floats, and the small attached spring. The floats are now identical in placement and dry height. After buttoning everything back together, the bike wouldn't start at all. I was careful not to mess with anything on the carbs themselves other than the float bowls/floats and I double checked the fuel lines etc. to make sure I didn't leave something out. I'm not sure where to start troubleshooting, any ideas?? The carbs are original equipment Keihin CV, although it does seem that an attempt was made at removing the jets at one point.

82' Belt Driven KZ440

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
05 Aug 2017 14:42 - 05 Aug 2017 14:59 #768401 by martin_csr
Replied by martin_csr on topic Trouble staring after servicing carb floats
Service fuel level check. Try checking the fuel level wet by using clear tubing.
Sometimes setting the floats dry doesn't result in a correct fuel level.
The manual may describe how to do the test.
Last edit: 05 Aug 2017 14:59 by martin_csr.
The following user(s) said Thank You: rich1ll1

More
05 Aug 2017 15:36 #768403 by mopguy
Replied by mopguy on topic Trouble staring after servicing carb floats
Do a search here for clear tube test method and also go to the top and click on ARTICLES and click on Technical Tips and read Carb Cleaning 101 & 102., THIS SHOULD HELP YOU DO THE JOB PROPERLY, if you get stuck chime in and someone will help along.

I have a 1980 Kawasaki KZ750 Ltd. I bought new. I recently managed to get it out of my garage after 28 years and put it on the road again (2010). I feel like a kid all over again. Since I have acquired 3 78 KZ1000 Ltd, 1 1981 KZ1000 Ltd, and another 1980 KZ750 Ltd. Love the LTD's.
The following user(s) said Thank You: GPz550D1, rich1ll1

More
06 Aug 2017 08:22 #768439 by rich1ll1
Replied by rich1ll1 on topic Trouble staring after servicing carb floats
I was able to rule out any issue with the float bowls last night thanks to the "clear tube" test. The bike still wouldn't start so I left it alone. This morning I put some fresh eyes on the bike and did an inventory of air, fuel, and spark. Turns out, an unrelated spark issue was to blame for the failed firing. Thanks to mopguy and martin_csr for helping me rule out the fuel level in the float bowls. Next I want to find a reliable replacement for the equipped ignition wires (screw-in boot) and maybe get something new for the coil. Thanks again, I hadn't ridden since my Thursday commute!

82' Belt Driven KZ440

More
06 Aug 2017 10:49 #768449 by Hyde_me
Replied by Hyde_me on topic Trouble staring after servicing carb floats
I replaced my wires by getting a few feet of 7mm wire and new boots. I could not find a place that could make the press on boots but if I put the wires on right and don't over tighten them the work great.

More
07 Aug 2017 05:27 - 07 Aug 2017 05:28 #768503 by Patton
Replied by Patton on topic Trouble staring after servicing carb floats
Z1E offers the Dyna plug wires in different versions and colors.

Dyna plug wires come with integrated non-resistant caps, which I prefer and have used trouble-free for many years. The caps may of course be snipped off and replaced with whatever caps might otherwise be preferred.

Stock Kaw Z1 and KZ900/1000 came with non-resistant solid metal core plug wires,non-resistant (non-R NGKB8ES spark plugs and resistor caps (to lessen audio interference).

Click here > www.z1enterprises.com/dyna-ignition-wire...pper-core-black.html

Good Fortune! :)

1973 Z1
KZ900 LTD
Last edit: 07 Aug 2017 05:28 by Patton.

More
07 Aug 2017 11:04 #768515 by rich1ll1
Replied by rich1ll1 on topic Trouble staring after servicing carb floats
Ordered along with a new coil pack!

82' Belt Driven KZ440