Kz400 Ltd carb help.

• Mholtkz400ltd
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
23 Jul 2017 07:56 #767530 by Mholtkz400ltd
Kz400 Ltd carb help. was created by Mholtkz400ltd
So did some digging into my carbs when I went to rejet and found that the carbs had 2 different needles in them....WTF?!?!?! so I have new needles ordered with rebuild kits and I figured I would just pull everything out now. Looking at pictures and comparing it loops like I have a different needle jet holder as well?? 5 holes and 2 holes so a total of 14 instead of 12 like I've seen in other pictures. The jetting on the bike was 70, 92 previous owner said he had a 440 he was timkering with years ago for a swap and might have put different jets in? Any insight on this? Does it just make it richer?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
23 Jul 2017 08:16 - 23 Jul 2017 08:17 #767534 by Nessism
Replied by Nessism on topic Kz400 Ltd carb help.
You best take the carbs fully apart and take inventory of all the jets and such and compare against the proper parts as detailed in the factory Kawasaki service manual. A lot of guys think that cleaning carbs means removing jets and replacing them with aftermarket "carb kits", many of which don't have the proper parts. 90% of the time all the original brass parts are perfectly serviceable after a good soaking in carb parts dip to clean them. Aftermarket carb kits are often times a compromise since one kit covers many different years of bikes, many of which have different jetting.
Last edit: 23 Jul 2017 08:17 by Nessism.

• Mholtkz400ltd
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
27 Jul 2017 03:50 #767795 by Mholtkz400ltd
Replied by Mholtkz400ltd on topic Kz400 Ltd carb help.

Nessism wrote: You best take the carbs fully apart and take inventory of all the jets and such and compare against the proper parts as detailed in the factory Kawasaki service manual. A lot of guys think that cleaning carbs means removing jets and replacing them with aftermarket "carb kits", many of which don't have the proper parts. 90% of the time all the original brass parts are perfectly serviceable after a good soaking in carb parts dip to clean them. Aftermarket carb kits are often times a compromise since one kit covers many different years of bikes, many of which have different jetting.

Nessim. I did do a catalog and found the carbs both had 2 different needles in them along with the off jetting for a kz400 ltd. I ordered a carb rebuild ki for the gaskets and needles today and tomorrow I'll be doing the work and post an update

More
27 Jul 2017 07:21 - 27 Jul 2017 07:22 #767816 by Nessism
Replied by Nessism on topic Kz400 Ltd carb help.
Be sure to ungang the carbs and take them all the way apart, including removing any pilot jets and screws. Then soak all the metal parts in carb dip to clean out the passages. This is the only way to properly clean/update the carbs.
Last edit: 27 Jul 2017 07:22 by Nessism.

• Mholtkz400ltd
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
27 Jul 2017 08:48 #767823 by Mholtkz400ltd
Replied by Mholtkz400ltd on topic Kz400 Ltd carb help.
Nessim,

Yes I disassembled the carbs completely and soaked them for a couple of hours. Tonight I'll be rebuilding and putting a new to me 2-1 exhaust on, rejetting, balancing and syncing carbs, and a couple othe things, fingers crossed if not she's going up for the rest of the year to get re-built.