New pods, tuning seems off

More
11 Jul 2017 13:00 #766691 by mamos22
New pods, tuning seems off was created by mamos22
Hey folks, I'm a bit of a new kid. I've got a KZ650 SR from 78'. It's got the original four mikuni carbs on it and I've been struggling with these for a bit. I would get a lot of coughing through the carbs so I cleaned and rebuilt them. They caughed still so I set all the needles to a leaner setting and it's not coughing anymore, takes a bit more to get it to warm up (will be really finicky in first for the first 5-10 minutes of riding). I've adjusted the floats and maybe that fudged it up? Any help would be awesome.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
11 Jul 2017 13:42 #766693 by TexasKZ
Replied by TexasKZ on topic New pods, tuning seems off
This has got to be the single most discussed topic on this forum. If you spend a little time using the search function, you will find tons of threads on the subject.
The short version of it all is, to get the carbs to function close to how they did with the factory intake system will require changing jets and retuning them. That will not be completely effective unless they have been thoroughly disassembled and perfectly cleaned first. Then come bench synchronizing, tuning, vacuum synchronizing and then jet experimentation and final tuning and synchronizing.
Or you could just put the factory air box and filter back on and skip most of this.

1982 KZ1000 LTD parts donor
1981 KZ1000 LTD awaiting resurrection
2000 ZRX1100 not ridden enough
The following user(s) said Thank You: Nessism

More
11 Jul 2017 13:43 #766694 by TexasKZ
When you adjusted the floats, did you use the clear tube method as described in the factory service manual?

More
11 Jul 2017 13:46 #766695 by mamos22
Replied by mamos22 on topic New pods, tuning seems off
Thanks Tex, I will probably try some more experimentation. The guy who had it before me got it pretty well tuned for for pods and I replaced the pods and it's just been a rough ride. Thanks again for the response!

More
11 Jul 2017 14:14 #766698 by TexasKZ
The coughing you mentioned can also be caused by insufficient valve lash. Checking them is one of the most neglected maintenance items on these old bikes. Valve lash is really important on these engines, and no amount of jacking with the carbs can overcome valves that do not fully close. Tuning carbs is not terribly complicated, but has to be done systematically because of how the various circuits interact with each other. Correct valve lash has to come first, because it affects carb adjustments.

More
11 Jul 2017 14:18 - 11 Jul 2017 14:19 #766699 by TexasKZ
  • and......
    Did you buy high quality filters like APE or K&N? Some of the cheaper brands are so poorly designed that they block the air jets in the mouth of certain carbs. I am not sure whether or not the specific carbs on your bike have those jets, but it is worth checking.

Last edit: 11 Jul 2017 14:19 by TexasKZ.

More
    11 Jul 2017 15:32 - 11 Jul 2017 15:32 #766704 by JR
    Replied by JR on topic New pods, tuning seems off
    +1
    Beware of cheap pods. Remove pod, and look inside. Some cheapos have a lip that restricts airflow to intake and air jets.

Always worthwhile chrcking valve clearances on a new bike

1980 kz750E1, Delkevic exhaust
    Last edit: 11 Jul 2017 15:32 by JR.

More
    12 Jul 2017 06:14 #766752 by 650mod
    Replied by 650mod on topic New pods, tuning seems off
    +1 to what has been said so far. I did an extensive mod on my 650- 720 big bore, stage 3 jets, 4-1 exhaust. Then I did a mono shock rear, so I had to run pods. I essentially started from scratch and wanted to throw things at the carbs many times. It took ALOT of patience and understanding of the circuits to get it dialed in. There were a few things that made tuning far quicker. 1. Buy a guns on colour tune to set your pilot circuit. This dialed me in super close to where the bike wanted to run on the pilot circuit. 2. Buy some sort of a vacuum tuner to set vacuum between the carbs. I use a gravity set up with ball bearings in a few loops of tube. Works wicked. 3. Tuning the upper end will take a bit of pulling the plugs after a WOT run then hitting the killswitch. Needles can be a pain to set, especially depending on if you have installed a carb kit.
    In the end- be resdy for some long nights of tuning. Make sure you have a good fan parked in front of the bike to keep it cool while tuning. Good luck!

78 kz 650 custom
    Wiseco 720cc big bore
    Dynajet stage 3 carb kit with pods
    2002 Kawasaki Z750 exhaust
    2001 Buell lightning front end
    1999 Ninja 600 swingarm with 1999 Ninja 900 rear rim
    converted to monoshock rear
    Too many goodies to list fully
    The following user(s) said Thank You: GPz550D1