Using Wideband O2 Sensor for Carb Tuning

More
26 Jun 2017 18:32 - 26 Jun 2017 18:36 #765457 by loneagle
I have a Innovate LM-1 wideband kit that I used to tune my hot rod. I'm wondering if I could use it to tune my bike. I'm planning on welding a bung for the O-2 sensor just after the primary tubes. I will use the battery tender connection to power up the unit. The LM-1 would be tie wrapped to the handlebars. I'd be going for 14 to 1 idle and part throttle cruise and about 12.8 to WOT. I may go a bit richer than these numbers since the engine is air cooled. What do you think?

'78 Kawasaki KZ 1000
'02 Harley FXDWG
'16 Harley Street Glide
Attachments:
Last edit: 26 Jun 2017 18:36 by loneagle.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
27 Jun 2017 05:22 - 27 Jun 2017 05:24 #765483 by martin_csr
Replied by martin_csr on topic Using Wideband O2 Sensor for Carb Tuning
Here's a topic from the KZ650.Info site. He used a spare header pipe to mount the sensor.
note: on his 650 the #1 & #4 exhaust pipes are removable (ie, not welded to the mufflers).

KZ650.info --- Lambda sensor. Your ultimate weapon. by Z650Spirit . I think you have to register & log-in to see the topic.
Last edit: 27 Jun 2017 05:24 by martin_csr.
The following user(s) said Thank You: loneagle

• Street Fighter LTD
  • TURBO, Its Better to be Blown than Injected
More
27 Jun 2017 05:57 #765484 by Street Fighter LTD
Replied by Street Fighter LTD on topic Using Wideband O2 Sensor for Carb Tuning
Cant hurt to try it out and at least check what the numbers are before and after a good tune up
Dave B) B) B)

Original owner 78 1000 LTD
Mr Turbo Race Kit, MTC 1075 Turbo pistons by PitStop Performance , Falicon Ultra Lite Super Crank, APE everything. Les Holt @ PDM's Billet Goodies . Frame by Chuck Kurzawa @ Logghe Chassis . Deep sump 5qt oil pan. RIP Bill Hahn

More
27 Jun 2017 13:09 - 27 Jun 2017 13:11 #765518 by loudhvx
Replied by loudhvx on topic Using Wideband O2 Sensor for Carb Tuning
14 will probably be too lean for idle. On an average temperature day you will want to shoot for about 12 ish, otherwise cold days will be way too lean and you'll need choke much longer.

For part throttle crusing, I shoot for 13.5 to 14. That's up to about 3/16 throttle or so. Above that I try to keep it in the 12.5 to 13 range. (That is for steady state cruising where the RPMs are no longer climbing.)

WOT AFR's will swing as RPMs climb. You want the AFR to sweep through the power range as the RPMs sweep up to redline. So I find best power when the AFR sweeps from about 11 at the beginning of the power band to about 13 or 13.5 at redline.

And, of course, temperature will affect the AFRs. Everything will start to report richer as the bike and air temp get hotter. I try to tune on the 70 to 80 degree days.

Also, this is all for non-CV carbs.
Last edit: 27 Jun 2017 13:11 by loudhvx.

More
27 Jun 2017 13:12 #765520 by TexasKZ
Replied by TexasKZ on topic Using Wideband O2 Sensor for Carb Tuning
Didn't OMR have a long thread about this a while back?

1982 KZ1000 LTD parts donor
1981 KZ1000 LTD awaiting resurrection
2000 ZRX1100 not ridden enough

More
27 Jun 2017 14:37 #765527 by loneagle
Replied by loneagle on topic Using Wideband O2 Sensor for Carb Tuning
Thanks for the info. I'm running BS34 carbs. Would there be a difference in tuning these compared to the mechanical carbs?

'78 Kawasaki KZ 1000
'02 Harley FXDWG
'16 Harley Street Glide

More
27 Jun 2017 17:39 #765529 by etbike3135
Replied by etbike3135 on topic Using Wideband O2 Sensor for Carb Tuning
I have a wego and love it. I tune different carbs on my bike all the time. Its also interesting how temperature changes the readings. I try and set it at 13 give a take couple decimals. Doesn't always work that way in the whole range. Some carbs are different then others on how they respond. You can always get the idle right on. I struggle with part openings and cruising. Some carbs will be spot on with just a little load and then when it "coasts" a little its way off. I think Id have to be more into changing emulsion tubes and I just want to change jets and needle heights.

1973 Kawasaki Z1
18 years in dragbikes
The following user(s) said Thank You: GPz550D1, loneagle

More
27 Jun 2017 22:11 #765552 by loudhvx

loneagle wrote: Thanks for the info. I'm running BS34 carbs. Would there be a difference in tuning these compared to the mechanical carbs?

I haven't used a wideband on CV carbs yet.

I assume idle would be the same strategy.
I think the main difference with the CV's is that it doesn't let you open the throttle too fast. With mechanical slide carbs, when you open the throttle too fast, the AFR goes very rich. This effect will be reduced with CV carbs. So my initial strategy would be to set the lower level, steady throttle positions the same way as with mechanical carbs. That is, I hold the throttle steady and let the bike climb to whatever speed it can attain in top gear. I usually try to hold steady at 1/16th intervals up to about 1/4. In that range I try to aim for the upper 13's to maybe the lower 14's for the AFR. Above 1/4 or so, I try to get closer to 13 to 13.5. Then when I get above 1/2, the bike will be going too fast to really hold steady for any long period of time. So I will use acceleration tests in lower gears and just observe the swing up to redline. I aim for low 13's as the final AFR at redline, but make sure most of the swing is in the 12 to 12.5 range.

With some combos I find there may be a slight rich position in the 1/4 to 3/8 area. As with anything, there are tradeoffs you make in place to fix up another. But usually you can get a decent compromise worked out to handle a wide range of temps.

More
28 Jun 2017 15:41 #765603 by loneagle
Thanks for the great info. Now, I'm excited to get the wide band hooked up and go for a ride. :)

'78 Kawasaki KZ 1000
'02 Harley FXDWG
'16 Harley Street Glide

More
28 Jun 2017 17:26 #765608 by loudhvx
At first the readings will seem crazy. It's only after you start to see the pattern that it all makes sense. That's why I like the analog gauge. I don't have to focus on it to get the gist if what is happening. I'll see if I can find a link to one of my threads with a video.

More
28 Jun 2017 17:52 #765613 by loudhvx
The thread is so old the photos are gone, but the links to the videos should still work on page 2.

www.kzrider.com/forum/3-carburetor/30748...d-o2-sensor?start=20
The following user(s) said Thank You: TexasKZ, loneagle

More
01 Jul 2017 22:27 #765875 by loneagle
That's some great information. Thanks for sharing! :)

'78 Kawasaki KZ 1000
'02 Harley FXDWG
'16 Harley Street Glide