Making a mold of 400/440 air snorkel/cap? +eBay

More
19 Jun 2017 15:18 - 19 Jun 2017 15:19 #764802 by YamaKawa
I, like many others, came across a KZ400/440 that happened to have the air box but did not have the snorkel/cap/element retainer for whatever reason. It took ONLY took me two years but I finally found one on eBay and snagged it. For the sake of preserving the air cap / the possibility of creating more should mine break or to make some cash trying to help others get one for their bike, I am interested in creating a mold of it. I went to the only place in town that does molding like that but they are more oriented towards mass-marketing and molds start at 5 grand. So that's out of the option. I am looking for possible cheap ways of creating a mold of the cap and was curious if anyone had any suggestions.

Before any suggests, yes I have done the aluminum sheet metal air filter cage, and it does work well but I would rather have the original for obvious reasons.

And for anyone interested, there just happens to be ANOTHER air cap for the late 400/440 on eBay as well priced at $65 if anyone is interested:
1980 KZ440 Air Cleaner Housing and Element

1985 Yamaha XJ700N Maxim (airhead) - SOLD
1979 Kawasaki KZ400H (LTD), bought with 8416 original miles. - 'Tis my baby
1978 Honda GL1000 - SOLD
1995 Suzuki Katana - SOLD
Last edit: 19 Jun 2017 15:19 by YamaKawa.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
20 Jun 2017 05:50 - 20 Jun 2017 06:03 #764852 by martin_csr
Replied by martin_csr on topic Making a mold of 400/440 air snorkel/cap? +eBay
For the sake of preserving the air cap .... I am interested in creating a mold of it.

By any chance have you looked into 3D printing? There are a number of small carburetor parts that seem like they'd be good candidates for the process, but I've never looked into getting large parts done. not sure if there are any plastic materials that will hold up to use on a motorcycle. If a 3D part isn't feasible for now, i would at least try to have it 3D scanned & save the file for future reference. in case having the parts made becomes doable.

Related. for attaching pod filters to the carbs on a 440, someone tried making an airbox from an ABS project box from Radio Shack, but it wasn't stout enough. It may be that a 3D printed airbox cap might hold up better, as it probably won't be subjected to the same stresses as a box supporting 2 pod filters.
Last edit: 20 Jun 2017 06:03 by martin_csr.

More
20 Jun 2017 06:36 #764856 by davido
Im not sure what your part is made of (or what it looks like) but the idea of creating a mold to knock out some replacements of hard to get parts without destroying an original is great.I would take my hat off to you (if I wore a hat).
It is very possible to do this.There are suppliers of mold making materials,everything you could possibly need. There is also a whole range of plastic,rubber,silicone,one component,two component and countless other materials available for making the part itself.
Heres a link to a supplier not far from me;
www.formx.eu/
It might take a lot of research and some failed attempts but if you keep at it,Im sure you can do it. I dont think youll get rich from it but itll make you a better person and the girls will be throwing themselves at you !!
Martins idea of the 3d printing is good if its a hard plastic but I dont know if itll work with a rubber material. Also,unless you have a printer and the knowledge to use it,youll just be paying someone else to make it for you. Wheres the fun in that?
Good luck with it.I hope you have a go and work it out.

www.kzrider.com/forum/11-projects/594313-csr1000-project-build
CB550 (1978)
CB500/4 (1972)*
KZ1000CSR (1981)
XT 600E (1999)
TDM900 (2003)