BS34 choke circuit

More
01 Jun 2017 07:38 #763236 by loneagle
BS34 choke circuit was created by loneagle
The choke on this carb isn't working at all and the engine is very hard to start when cold. The bike starts and runs great when warmed up. The engine is freshly rebuilt. Valves are set at.006. I cleaned the choke circuits except for the small discharge holes in front of the throttle plates. I tried using an e-string from a guitar, but the hole is too small (under .010) I can't believe there's a problem, the choke worked fine before I took the engine apart.

'78 Kawasaki KZ 1000
'02 Harley FXDWG
'16 Harley Street Glide

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
01 Jun 2017 09:16 #763240 by Nessism
Replied by Nessism on topic BS34 choke circuit
zeus.mtsac.edu/~cliff/storage/gs/Mikuni_...Rebuild_Tutorial.pdf

This link is to a carb rebuild tutorial you may find helpful. Shortcuts are long cuts when it comes to carbs. It seems you didn't remove the pilot screws. That's not for the choke circuit however. At any rate, the tutorial details how to properly clean the BS34 carbs, including the choke passages.
The following user(s) said Thank You: loneagle

More
01 Jun 2017 10:05 #763246 by loneagle
Replied by loneagle on topic BS34 choke circuit
Thank you....That is the same PDF that I used when I took apart the carbs. It doesn't offer any info on cleaning the choke discharge circuit in the venturi. I can't get the carb spray to come out of these holes. The pilot system was completely cleaned. It doesn't have any problems at idle once warmed up.

'78 Kawasaki KZ 1000
'02 Harley FXDWG
'16 Harley Street Glide

More
01 Jun 2017 12:15 #763254 by loneagle
Replied by loneagle on topic BS34 choke circuit
Well, I got it running again and the engine is now pulling fuel through the enrichment circuits. Cleaning the passages with the guitar string did the trick.

'78 Kawasaki KZ 1000
'02 Harley FXDWG
'16 Harley Street Glide