Carb problems kz 1000

More
28 May 2017 10:16 - 28 May 2017 10:17 #762952 by Jlvo90
Carb problems kz 1000 was created by Jlvo90
I have problems getting my kz to run and idle.
The bike has sat for a couple of years being worked on and off.

I have good compression.
The carbs are clean and ready to go.
What I'm having problems is starting, ideling if i rev the bike it takes it a while to drop.
Carbs have been bench synced to match the non adjustable carb
I am in Houston Texas I'm looking for information on jet sizing and air fuel adjustment. If anyone could help me it would be appreciated.
It has the kerker headers and pods other than that it's a stock kz 1000 motor
Last edit: 28 May 2017 10:17 by Jlvo90. Reason: Needed more details

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Kray-Z
  • User
  • I need more power Scotty....
More
28 May 2017 10:34 #762953 by Kray-Z
Replied by Kray-Z on topic Carb problems kz 1000
If it ran fine before it was laid up, the problem is dried up fuel and corrosion in the carb bowl areas. Before you start re-jetting and trying to fine tune malfunctioning carbs, give it a thorough cleaning - you likely just have to clean the parts and jets that were submerged in the old fuel as it dried up. A few cans of Carb Cleaner spray, some elbow grease, and a few small soft brushes and scotch brite will get it done. Or you could take them to a shop for ultra sonic cleaning. Do that, get it running like it was before, probably with OEM (Original Equipment Manufacturer - i.e. Kawasaki in this case) / FSM (Factory Service Manual) tuning, then worry about re-jetting and fine tuning the carbs to match your mods...

To make tuning easier and faster, you may want to invest 1/4 G- note in a Dynojet Stage 3 kit (Z1 Ent.) for your bike specifically and APE (K&N) Oval pods (do not bother with cheap cone pods). But a DJ kit will not fix malfunctioning carbs, I'm afraid. Careful when drilling the slides, the are at an angle, not straight down...so don't try using a drill press for that.

_good luck.

2-04 R1, 81 CSR1000, 81 LTD1000, 2-83 GPz1100, 3-79CBX, 81 CBX, 3-XS650, 84 Venture, +parts
Quote "speed costs money...how fast do you want to go?" (Which Z movie?)
Universal formula for how many motorcycles one should own = n + 1, where n is how many motorcycles you own right now....
The following user(s) said Thank You: GPz550D1

More
28 May 2017 10:43 #762954 by Jlvo90
Replied by Jlvo90 on topic Carb problems kz 1000
I know for a fact the carbs are cleaned.The bike came from Iowa and hasn't ran since the 90's my dad took it to a shop about ten years ago but it didn't run right, after they worked on it so it went back to sitting.
I've tried the jets and needle out of the original carbs and bought a set of carbs that were supposed to be ready to go. I'm leaning towards ordering the jet kit and hoping I can get it dialed in better. The bike does have cheap pods on it I will get the k&n

• Kray-Z
  • User
  • I need more power Scotty....
More
28 May 2017 10:43 #762955 by Kray-Z
Replied by Kray-Z on topic Carb problems kz 1000
I should add something else. I have two sets of KZ1000J BS-34's that I could never get to work properly again after cleaning them. Those two sets caused me so much grief and wasted so many days of effort I don't even like to think about it. I tried everything, until I finally found the problem - both sets are worn out around the throttle shaft and leak there. By cleaning them, I had removed the gunk that was actually sealing the worn shafts, causing all sorts of intermittent vacuum leaks thereafter. Chasing problems like that will make you want to ride a bicycle...

2-04 R1, 81 CSR1000, 81 LTD1000, 2-83 GPz1100, 3-79CBX, 81 CBX, 3-XS650, 84 Venture, +parts
Quote "speed costs money...how fast do you want to go?" (Which Z movie?)
Universal formula for how many motorcycles one should own = n + 1, where n is how many motorcycles you own right now....
The following user(s) said Thank You: GPz550D1

More
28 May 2017 11:25 #762958 by Jlvo90
Replied by Jlvo90 on topic Carb problems kz 1000
I hope that isn't what is going on here. I had the originals cleaned professionally at a shop they never worked since I bought a set for parts to try and work on the originals and then bought a set that was rebuilt ready to go and still haven't had luck.
I can buy new carbs but we are talking 800 and I believe I have at least 600 in what I've bought and countless hours playing with jets and air fuel screw.... is there a way I can test the carbs to see if that's what my problem is?