Weird throttle issue?

More
22 May 2017 01:46 #762447 by YamaKawa
Weird throttle issue? was created by YamaKawa
I ride a 1979 kz400 ltd and I gots a weird throttle issue. After warmed up and ridden for quite a bit (30 minutes continuously), my bike develops something that I don't know if I would call it a hesitation or a bog. Anyways, what happens is after said conditions above, my bike when I let go of the throttle completely for whatever reason (downhill, slowing, etc.) and then I get back onto the throttle to cruise, it will sound raspy and feel like it is starving for fuel, that is UNTIL I give the throttle an extra blip (over half throttle) and return to cruise throttle position, then the bike will behave normally.

It has done this for a couple months before winter but did not have this issue when I bought the bike almost two years ago. Aside from this issue, this bike is perfect. Runs perfect and drives perfect.

Things i have done to try and fix this:

1) cleaned the carburetors. I have done this Several times in the last couple months trying to fix. Not that they were dirty, but I was fiddling with the carbs off the bike so I figured might as well clean them while I was at it.
2) put an intake gasket between the boot and the engine. I was taking the boots off to inspect for cracks and wanted to replace the screws with allen head bolts while I was at it and figured it wouldn't hurt to put a gasket there.
3) checked for vacuum leaks with wd40, carb cleaner, and propane. I do not have any sort of vacuum leak around the intake system.
4) bench synced the carbs. This is self-explanatory.
5) checked the fuel mixture screws were out 2.5 turns (didn't have to change them).

I do want to mention that my headers are mismatched colors. Cylinder one is yellow (lean) and the second is blue (rich), I'm not sure if this is left over from when I bought the bike (carbs were horribly out of tune making cylinder one run incredibly lean) or if the first cylinder is continuing to run lean. I did do a plug chop and they both plugs had normal wear. Is this carb related or could this be a partially sticking timing advancer? I put this is carburetors because it's a throttle related complaint.

1985 Yamaha XJ700N Maxim (airhead) - SOLD
1979 Kawasaki KZ400H (LTD), bought with 8416 original miles. - 'Tis my baby
1978 Honda GL1000 - SOLD
1995 Suzuki Katana - SOLD

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
22 May 2017 05:08 #762453 by 650ed
Replied by 650ed on topic Weird throttle issue?
Does the bike have the stock air box and filter? Have you made any changes there since buying the bike? Ed

1977 KZ650-C1 Original Owner - Stock (with additional invisible FIAMM horn)

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.