81 KZ 750Ltd rough start

More
18 Apr 2017 05:23 #759491 by andydrew39
81 KZ 750Ltd rough start was created by andydrew39
Hello, KZR! Last year I purchased a 81 KZ 750LTD for $300 as a project bike. She had 9600 miles (9900 now). Long story short, she had sat for a handful of years and needed some tlc. This is what I did... removed, cleaned and rebuilt all 4 (keihin) carbs, new boots, new petcock, spark plugs, plug wires, battery, rebuilt calipers, oil + filter, etc. And she is running good, but. Here is the issue, and this has been a consistent problem with the previous owner as well. She has a rough cold start. Has 4 carbs, the 2nd one from the left side is iffy, it has problems firing when cold and smokes from the left hand side exhaust pipe (4 carbs, 2 in 1 exhaust so 2 pipes). Originally the 2nd or inside carb from the left hand side would not fire, I could tell by touching the pipe before it merged with the #1 carb's exhaust. When I got her ready this spring she started and ran but at a cold start or even after sitting for a couple hours and cooling down the trouble carb (second in from the left) will not fire until i rev it up a couple times and hold it around 3 or 4 on the tach for 5 seconds or so. Then when you let off the throttle it will hold for 2 or 3 more seconds and rev back down. But after this cycle she idles and runs great all day and I have been using it as a daily driver. Any idea what could be causing this rough cold start?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Nessism
  • Away
  • Sustaining Member
More
18 Apr 2017 07:11 - 18 Apr 2017 07:29 #759499 by Nessism
Replied by Nessism on topic 81 KZ 750Ltd rough start
Have you ever adjusted the valves? Many people ignore this bit of critical maintenance until the valves and seats burn and damage the engine. The factory Kawasaki service manual details the proper procedure and provides a maintenance schedule.

From what you describe your carbs could well be dirty. Did you fully strip the carbs and dip them in carb sauce to clean all the orifices and jets? Did you remove the pilot screws and make sure the circuits are open? How far open are the pilot screws now? Did you hold the jets up to a light to make sure the orifices are open? Replace all the O-rings? Vacuum sync the carbs.

One other thing to check is your spark plugs and plug caps. Removing the plug caps by unscrewing them from the ignition lead and snipping off a small piece of wire before screwing the cap back on is a good idea. Every little thing you do will help.
Last edit: 18 Apr 2017 07:29 by Nessism.

• Tyrell Corp
  • User
  • "You were made as well as we could make you"
More
18 Apr 2017 15:19 - 18 Apr 2017 15:20 #759539 by Tyrell Corp
Replied by Tyrell Corp on topic 81 KZ 750Ltd rough start
That fact that pot 1 and 2 are playing up is often related to fuel tank sediment crap settling in the carbs when the bike is on it's side stand.

if 1-4 or 2-3 I'd be looking at ignition .

1980 Gpz550 D1, 1981 GPz550 D1. 1982 GPz750R1. 1983 z1000R R2. all four aces
Last edit: 18 Apr 2017 15:20 by Tyrell Corp.