79 kz650 properly rebuilt carbs still leaking

• transilvanianson
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
14 Apr 2017 21:33 #759202 by transilvanianson
79 kz650 properly rebuilt carbs still leaking was created by transilvanianson
Hi everyone,

I wouldn't be posting if this problem could be solved with 5 minutes of research but I can't seem to find what's going wrong with my carbs from multiple forums online.

I rebuilt and cleaned my carbs a couple weeks ago. They were in fairly good condition, just a bit dirty. I cleaned everything pretty well, the only things I replaced was a one brass choke assembly since it was bent when I got it, and new paper gaskets for the float bowls and the top. I put everything back right the first time and even double checked but they're still leaking. They aren't leaking from the overflow and they leak pretty slowly, so I thought it was a gasket. I took it apart and the gaskets weren't ripped or cut. The float bowl's themselves aren't warped but I went ahead and took some 800 grit sandpaper too them and made them nice and shiny but they still leak.

I don't know what my next step is in diagnosing what's wrong. I'm open to anything at this point since I just want to ride.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Nessism
  • Away
  • Sustaining Member
More
14 Apr 2017 22:16 #759206 by Nessism
Replied by Nessism on topic 79 kz650 properly rebuilt carbs still leaking
You can download the real factory manual for the 650 at this link... www.zedrider.co.uk/service--owners-manuals.html

Find the section about the carbs, including the clear tube test, and have at it. As the float needle spring gets weak with age and use the fuel level rises in the float bowls. Resetting the float higher typically fixes things. On the other hand, there are a multitude of different things that can go wrong with the carbs and it's hard to say what could be wrong. Here is a VM carb rebuild tutorial that may help... members.dslextreme.com/users/bikecliff/i.../vm_carb_rebuild.pdf

Hope you replaced all the various O-rings when you cleaned the carbs. Unless they have been changed before you got 38 year old rubber parts holding back the fuel.

Oh and don't forget to do other maintenance like a valve adjustment. Failing to do this can damage the engine so don't be in a big rush while getting your bike read for the season.
The following user(s) said Thank You: GPz550D1, Scirocco

• Scirocco
  • Premium Member
  • Never change a running system
More
14 Apr 2017 23:10 #759210 by Scirocco
The following user(s) said Thank You: GPz550D1

More
15 Apr 2017 07:01 - 16 Apr 2017 06:13 #759221 by JMKZHI
Where exactly are they leaking? be sure to check the fuel fittings for leaks between the carbs. either the o-rings or the rubber, depending upon what type you have.
Last edit: 16 Apr 2017 06:13 by JMKZHI.