79 kz650 rebuilt carb leaking

• transilvanianson
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
14 Apr 2017 21:27 #759201 by transilvanianson
79 kz650 rebuilt carb leaking was created by transilvanianson
Hi everyone,

I wouldn't be posting if this problem could be solved with 5 minutes of research but I can't seem to find what's going wrong with my carbs from multiple forums online.

I rebuilt and cleaned my carbs a couple weeks ago. They were in fairly good condition, just a bit dirty. I cleaned everything pretty well, the only things I replaced was a one brass choke assembly since it was bent when I got it, and new paper gaskets for the float bowls and the top. I put everything back properly and even double checked but they're still leaking. They aren't leaking from the overflow and they leak pretty slowly, so I thought it was a gasket. I took it apart and the gaskets weren't ripped or cut. The float bowl's themselves aren't warped but I wen't ahead and took some 800 grit sandpaper too them and made them nice and shiny but they still leak.

I don't know what my next step is in diagnosing what's wrong. I'm open to anything at this point since I just want to ride.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
14 Apr 2017 22:12 - 14 Apr 2017 22:14 #759205 by ezrider714
Replied by ezrider714 on topic 79 kz650 rebuilt carb leaking
How about the O-Rigs on the bowl drain screws??
I wouldn't call the bowl gaskets I used on my last carb rebuild paper, they were quite a bit thicker than paper
Could the gasket be too thin, so you are not getting any squish between the mating surfaces??
Just WAGS from your description:

78 KZ650SR Mine since 79
4-1 Mac Jet Hot coated since mid 80's
Dyna Coils
Saddlebags (I ain't skeered of going nowhere) :)
Last edit: 14 Apr 2017 22:14 by ezrider714.
The following user(s) said Thank You: GPz550D1

• Scirocco
  • Premium Member
  • Never change a running system
More
14 Apr 2017 22:56 - 14 Apr 2017 22:59 #759209 by Scirocco
Replied by Scirocco on topic 79 kz650 rebuilt carb leaking
have you checked the needle valve (surface ) and needle seat, plus float bowl high???
maybe you have bent the tap of the swim body (adjust the float bowl high ) or the valve needle spring in
the valve needle body ( no movement )
or the valve needle it self is stuck in the valve seat.

Michael
Attachments:
Last edit: 14 Apr 2017 22:59 by Scirocco.
The following user(s) said Thank You: GPz550D1