Carb Info needed 83 KZ1100 Shaft

More
23 Feb 2017 10:58 - 23 Feb 2017 11:09 #754991 by Dean W
Carb Info needed 83 KZ1100 Shaft was created by Dean W
I just purchased a non running 83 KZ1100 shaft bike & started a carb rebuild. I have lots of experience on Keihin carbs, but none on Mikuni's. I need some help please. Yes, I have read hours of posts. . I assume I have stock 34 BS carbs. Someone had been inside these carbs before & screwed up a couple of things. Here are my questions

1. Where is the part # on the carbs?
2. Is there a substitute for the main jet washers? Can I use O-rings instead?
3. Can I make my own float bowl gaskets using gasket paper? Are the factory gaskets something special?
4. The #1 carb float pin arm is broken. Is there a repair procedure, ie using 2 part epoxy?
5. If I have to replace the #1 carb body, can you make recommendations of bike years/models that I can use?
6. Is there a sub for a float pin? can I use a roll pin?
7. Is there a good source for Mikuni carb info ie part #'s, jet sizes, float height, needle size, etc?
8. I plan on running a air pods along with a 4:1. What size mains should I use? I read several posts on this setup & got confused. One post said that 130's were running rich on his bike, another said to use 140's. 140's would be 9 sizes larger than the 117.5 stock size, that seems too large.

Thanks for your help!
Last edit: 23 Feb 2017 11:09 by Dean W.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
23 Feb 2017 11:53 #754996 by Nessism
Replied by Nessism on topic Carb Info needed 83 KZ1100 Shaft
1. Not sure. Partzilla.com as well as other OEM part suppliers will have the numbers.
2. There is nothing special about that washer other than it's brass. I may have a spare if you can't find one elsewhere.
3. Yes, you can make gaskets.
4. Epoxy can come apart inside the gas. You best physically repair the post.
5. If you get a different carb body make sure it's got the proper air jet size.
6. I'd get the proper float pin.
7. The factory Kawasaki service manual has all the info.
8. A Dynojet kit will save tons of time with jetting for pods.

Oh, and this tutorial may help you... zeus.mtsac.edu/~cliff/storage/gs/Mikuni_...Rebuild_Tutorial.pdf

More
23 Feb 2017 12:21 #755005 by Dean W
Replied by Dean W on topic Carb Info needed 83 KZ1100 Shaft

Nessism wrote: 1. Not sure. Partzilla.com as well as other OEM part suppliers will have the numbers.
2. There is nothing special about that washer other than it's brass. I may have a spare if you can't find one elsewhere.
3. Yes, you can make gaskets.
4. Epoxy can come apart inside the gas. You best physically repair the post.
5. If you get a different carb body make sure it's got the proper air jet size.
6. I'd get the proper float pin.
7. The factory Kawasaki service manual has all the info.
8. A Dynojet kit will save tons of time with jetting for pods.

Oh, and this tutorial may help you... zeus.mtsac.edu/~cliff/storage/gs/Mikuni_...Rebuild_Tutorial.pdf

I hate being a newbie. I have 30 years experience working on Honda V4's. None on Mikuni carbs.

Thanks for ur reply I was hoping you would. I have read some of your replies during my searches.I use Partszilla for my parts fische inquires.
I have read the carb rebuild tutorial u referenced. I have it bookmarked. I thought it was very good.

Is the factory manual available online for a download? Perhaps on this site? I haven't tried a search yet, I will do so after this post.

How can I repair the post w/o using epoxy? Link anywhere?

Looks like I will need to purchase 2 main jet washers & a float pin. Do you happen to have those parts? Happy to purchase them.

Thanks again.

More
23 Feb 2017 12:52 #755011 by Nessism
Replied by Nessism on topic Carb Info needed 83 KZ1100 Shaft
Try googling "float post repair" to get some ideas. Check the images. A friend used stainless steel wire to "sew" together a float post before and it was rock solid afterwards. He drilled it a four ways and pulled the wire tight. I've seen guys make a sleeve they wrapped around the posts before, and I've also seen guys drill the post and pin the parts together.

THERE ARE WAYS.

BTW, I'll check my spares box for those washers and float pins and get back to you tonight.:)

More
26 Feb 2017 11:27 #755261 by 76KZ900
Replied by 76KZ900 on topic Carb Info needed 83 KZ1100 Shaft
If all else fails you can find decent sets of these carbs for $100 and up. You will wind up with a set for parts.

78KZ400 (sold)
78KZ1000 (sold)
82KZ1100 (sold)
76KZ900 (sold) regret
03ZRX1200R (sold) regret
83KZ1100 LTD Shaft
The following user(s) said Thank You: GPz550D1