WON'T START AFTER OVERHAUL

More
15 Feb 2017 12:53 #754272 by rrsmsw9999
Replied by rrsmsw9999 on topic WON'T START AFTER OVERHAUL
Awesome Jon, no criticism intended. Having been through these processes too, my experience is that machines have no feelings and usually are not at fault!

Glad to hear it seems manageable.

One more tip on the starting, be sure the cams were put in on the right side of the bike. It is an easy orientation problem even though the cams are marked L and R. 180 degrees out won't bang valves but it will not start and can spit fire. I will leave the story about how I know out of this thread :cheer:

Happy Motoring!

R

1980 KZ 1000E2
Crashed 6/2016

1980 KZ550A
Sold 3/2016
The following user(s) said Thank You: aquaholic

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• aquaholic
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • 1981 KZ1000 J1
More
15 Feb 2017 17:14 #754297 by aquaholic
Replied by aquaholic on topic WON'T START AFTER OVERHAUL
Thanks for the vote of confidence. I had them marked when removed and I believe the only way to check to see which is the Intake and which is the exhaust camshafts is by looking at the book and the orientation of the bolts and square/round reliefs embossed into the cam gears where they are bolted to the cam. Is that a correct assumption ? I did double check the square boss relief position on the cam gears and they appear to be correct. Help me out with your knowledge and past experience with this issue. No judging here lol. Be well and thank you again, Jon

More
16 Feb 2017 07:29 #754340 by rrsmsw9999
The 1980ST 1000 I rehabbed had been previously tinkered with. It wouldn;t start, chug chug pop pop whiz bang. Second crank and I had fire out the intake and air box. Luckily the reserve gas tank didn't blow and burn down the garage! Tense moment. The only way I know to describe this is that R and L sides are when sitting on the bike, not looking at it from the front. So the right side has rear brake pedal and the left side has the shiftier. The cams are marked right - R and left - L. Sure enough when I opened up the head cover the timing marks and sprockets did not look like the book and complete 180 reversal almost became catastrophic. Then there was the crash in June! To each their own. Just my experiences. B)

1980 KZ 1000E2
Crashed 6/2016

1980 KZ550A
Sold 3/2016

• aquaholic
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • 1981 KZ1000 J1
More
16 Feb 2017 16:39 #754375 by aquaholic
I got the left and right part oriented correctly. I was wondering if the cams are the same ..... They appear to be except where the gear bolts are located. Thanks for sharing your experience and hope the crash wasn't life altering. Jon

More
17 Feb 2017 04:34 #754393 by rrsmsw9999
Jon, thanks and it's a miracle I am here. I have never been and am not afraid of riding but the time for a change in my life has come. 18 stiches in the head, 4 breaks to left collarbone, open distal ulnar fracture left arm, open compound fracture of the left knee, five surgeries and 20 days inpatient. whew! Any single 1 degree change in what happened and I'd be dead. 99/100 times the crash I had, high speed wobble and hi side would kill. I have spent 30 years and over 200000 miles on bikes, but could not put my wife through this again. I still do like to fix em so i may stay mechanically adept and flip em. I am 99% able and 99% pain free. Pretty good for a 50 year old. :woohoo: Good luck on your rebuild. Ron

1980 KZ 1000E2
Crashed 6/2016

1980 KZ550A
Sold 3/2016

• Z1Driver
  • User
  • love the smell of triple smoke
More
17 Feb 2017 13:08 - 17 Feb 2017 13:12 #754405 by Z1Driver
Replied by Z1Driver on topic WON'T START AFTER OVERHAUL
Ron, Wow sounds like quite the tumble. I'm glad your still here too and understand the wife thing. The good ones take care of us when we have temporary lapses in good judgement. Or in my case a stroke. Don't let the blood pressure get out of control....ever.

Blue 1975 Z1B
Red 2009 Concours 14
Last edit: 17 Feb 2017 13:12 by Z1Driver.

• aquaholic
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • 1981 KZ1000 J1
More
17 Feb 2017 15:46 #754414 by aquaholic
My wife is against me riding ... PERIOD lol. This is just a memorial project for my buddy who passed aways adult son. Glad your doing so well, both of you. I have lots of hardware in my back from a boating accident BUT the wife loves the boat and fishing lol. I'll never figure out a woman's way of thinking. Thanks for your help and Be well friends, jon

• Z1Driver
  • User
  • love the smell of triple smoke
More
18 Feb 2017 02:14 - 18 Feb 2017 02:22 #754459 by Z1Driver
Replied by Z1Driver on topic WON'T START AFTER OVERHAUL
Jon, my bride of 41 years isn't fond of me riding a motorcycle either. Her brother was killed on a HD in Germany before we were married. He missed a curve. The only vehicle I had back when we were dating was a brandy new 74 Z1A 900.

I was away on a motorcycle trip a couple of years ago. She was upstairs in her sewing room when the door bell rang. She looked out the front window before opening the door to see a County Sheriff's patrol car parked in front of the house. She said her heart sank and shakenly open the door thinking something had happened to me. I am a retired LEO. The deputy had a subpoena for me for an old court case. when I got home one of the first things I did was to take this gal out to dinner. This was an accomplishment because she thinks going out to eat is a wastes of money. The court case was settled out of court so I didn't have to go. Tim

Blue 1975 Z1B
Red 2009 Concours 14
Last edit: 18 Feb 2017 02:22 by Z1Driver.

More
19 Feb 2017 06:15 - 19 Feb 2017 06:17 #754554 by amit65
Replied by amit65 on topic WON'T START AFTER OVERHAUL
Hi
So, I finally got a chance to rebuild the bottom end of my engine. Problem is, it wont start.

I've checked the timing over and over again. It's correct.
I've checked the engine grounds, I cleaned them really well with no change.
Battery voltage has been steady at 12.8vdc (I kept a charger on it while the engine was out.
I've double and triple checked all sensors, grounds, fuses, vacuum lines.

It's getting fuel, it's getting spark, but the engine just wont start.

I never took apart the top end so I highly doubt my compression has changed since my last test, and it was 230psi then.

PREVENTATIVE VEHICLE MAINTENANCE
Last edit: 19 Feb 2017 06:17 by amit65.

• SWest
  • Sustaining Member
  • 10 22 2014
More
19 Feb 2017 07:41 #754559 by SWest
Replied by SWest on topic WON'T START AFTER OVERHAUL
230 PSI? Have you checked your valve adjustments? What is that link at the bottom of your page?
Steve