Won't start

More
25 Nov 2016 16:33 #748916 by matlock
Won't start was created by matlock
Ok. I have a 1982 kz750 spectre that I just rebuilt the top end on. I have taken the carbs apart and cleaned them 3 times. I can't get the bike to start at all. I have a different tank with no vacuum lines going to it so I have plugged the two vacation lines on the carbs. Still won't start. Any ideas? I do have pods on it. I haven't rejected it yet but it should still at least start... please help!!!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
25 Nov 2016 16:54 #748918 by JR
Replied by JR on topic Won't start
Has it got compression ?
Are the carbs getting gas ? If you open a carb drain screw does gas flow out ?
Do you have spark ?If you lay the plugs against the motor while connected to the spark plug boots and press the starter can you see spark ?
If yes then is it possible that whenyou put everything back together you connected the worng wires to the wrong coils. ?

1980 kz750E1, Delkevic exhaust

More
25 Nov 2016 17:03 #748920 by matlock
Replied by matlock on topic Won't start
It has spark. It's getting gas, I haven't rechecked compression because I have to get a Guage. If your sitting on the bike the coils on the left side go to #2 (top wire) #3 (bottom wire) right side goes to #4 ( top wire) #1 (bottom wire) ...

More
25 Nov 2016 17:15 #748922 by JR
Replied by JR on topic Won't start
Each coil will have a red wire and either a green wire or a black wire.. Off hand I cant remember whether the green wire goes to the 2,3 coil or the 1. 4 coil or vice versa. Might be worth checking. I had mine ass backwards after a valve job years ago and couldnt figure out why bike wouldnt start

Did the bike run before the top end job?
why did you do the top end job?
When you press the starter I assume the motor turns over but does it even cough?
Are the plugs wet with gas ?

1980 kz750E1, Delkevic exhaust

More
25 Nov 2016 17:20 #748924 by matlock
Had a bad cylinder. I'll look into the wires but I think they are right... I got it to start for about 5 seconds when I sprayed carb cleaner in the carbs...

More
25 Nov 2016 18:07 #748926 by Nessism
Replied by Nessism on topic Won't start
Sounds like carb issues. Did you verify the choke butterflies are closing down when the choke lever is actuated? They like to hang up on those carbs. Also, did you remove the pilot screws and pilot jets and make sure the passages are open?

More
25 Nov 2016 18:14 #748927 by matlock
Yea. Choke is working fine. I removed all the Jets and chemical dipped them over night then sprayed them out with carb cleaner and my air compressor...

More
25 Nov 2016 19:01 #748928 by matlock
Mabey it's the idle mix screw... that's the only thing I didn't remove... I'll try that and get back with you. Thanks for all the help fellas