Kiehin cv34 pilot screw starting point.

More
29 Oct 2016 23:56 #746508 by dvnsta
I am in the process of replacing all the o-rings in my kiehin cv34 carbs on my 1982 kz750 ltd. Ran pilot screws in per swm to check current setting. Each one varies from the other. PLugs over pilot screws were removed by po and am sure they are not set to factory. Each screw is from 3 turns out to five on one of them. My Question is this. What is a good starting point for turns out on the pilot screws. Swm says to reset were they were before,but they are each so different dont know were to start. Im replacing manifolds and boots as well had issue of backfire at carbs have checked clearance on valves in spec. Manifolds were original and believe had a leak on two of them as idle changed with spraying starting fluid around while running. Thinking pilot screws may have been adjusted by po trying to correct this. So good place to turn out pilot screw to start?

1982 KZ 750 LTD H3 stock except with custom seat skin and kawasaki period backrest.
Kawasaki 1989 eliminator 250 b3

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
30 Oct 2016 04:54 #746514 by Nessism
Replied by Nessism on topic Kiehin cv34 pilot screw starting point.
2.5 turns from lightly seated is seated is where Kawasaki set them (roughly speaking). I've redone several sets of those Keihin's that still had the plugs over the screws and that's where they were always set.

BTW, be sure to soak all the jets, including the pilot jets, in carb dip to clean them carefully before reassembly. The orifices are tiny and easy to plug.
The following user(s) said Thank You: dvnsta

More
30 Oct 2016 10:01 - 30 Oct 2016 10:04 #746556 by dvnsta
Replied by dvnsta on topic Kiehin cv34 pilot screw starting point.
I had these carbs off when i first got the bike cleaned them out and put them back and it ran pretty good. Foreward 9 months got a service manual and a lot of reading in forum. THought a more thorough job in order. A bit concerned on the intakes.looks as if the edges have been opened a bit with a grinder. DId they clean the edges up at the factory? Hoping putting the new manifolds on will take care of that accasional backfire at intake when i first start it.

1982 KZ 750 LTD H3 stock except with custom seat skin and kawasaki period backrest.
Kawasaki 1989 eliminator 250 b3
Last edit: 30 Oct 2016 10:04 by dvnsta. Reason: Miss spelling