Jet size question

More
11 Oct 2016 13:29 #744980 by ajsfirehawk
Replied by ajsfirehawk on topic Jet size question
The spark advance causes cylinder ignition to occur earlier in the compression stroke. This is needed as the rpm's increase because there is not as much time at higher rpm's for the flame to propagate (grow and progress) as the piston rapidly moves towards the cylinder head. The ignition has to happen at the optimal moment in the engine's rotation to enjoy the full power the motor can provide. So much for theory.
The spring shown ( one on each side) appears fine to me. I see some signs of rust on the washer under the c-clip. Nothing ridiculous but some. The clip holds the weight (dog leg looking item that pivots on the shaft under the c-clip) in place but allows it to move outward when the engine rotates rapidly. A small dot of oil (small emphasis) on the shaft with the c-clip is a good thing. The base plate has the "F" and "T" on it. It will rotate several degrees when the rpm's increase and the centrifugal force moves the weights outward (little dog leg items mounted on the c-clipped shafts) which rotates the base plate increases the ignition timing. If the base plate is corroded or has gummy contamination on the 'collar' where it contacts the large shaft in the center with the bolt on it, it cannot rotate properly to advance the timing. I had this happen on my KZ650. Cleaned it and put a modest amount of lube on it. I chose light synthetic grease, I believe the FSM calls for oil IIRC.

79 KZ650 SR
80 KZ1000 Z1 Classic
83 KZ1100 LTD
Z900RS
23 Mach 1
The following user(s) said Thank You: OLJOCLARK

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
11 Oct 2016 16:44 #744997 by OLJOCLARK
Replied by OLJOCLARK on topic Jet size question
Woah,Who'da thought that thing could move around! Thanks for the info.I'm gonna have to look again and study on that.I gotta go back to work tomorrow and the grand kids comin Thursday for a few days so I wont get to play for a few days,except with them of course!Thanks again for your time Hawk. :)

1980 Kawasaki 750 ltd G Twin

More
11 Oct 2016 21:56 #745014 by ajsfirehawk
Replied by ajsfirehawk on topic Jet size question
The cam rotates, not the base plate. I worded that poorly. If you look at Partzilla it shows the cam clearly. It is item #11. part number 21148-1004 ADVANCER,AUTO TIMING

79 KZ650 SR
80 KZ1000 Z1 Classic
83 KZ1100 LTD
Z900RS
23 Mach 1