Choke Shaft Seal, Keihin 34? KZ750H LTD 1980

• FaultedGeologist
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • The truly educated never graduate...
More
01 Oct 2016 19:17 #744205 by FaultedGeologist
Choke Shaft Seal, Keihin 34? KZ750H LTD 1980 was created by FaultedGeologist
I am needing a choke plate screw kit for a 1980 KZ750H LTD. It says something about crimping them to lock them in place. I was thinking a little threadlocker might do the trick. The black drywall screw is pointing to the plate screw in the carbs image I attached. Z1 doesn't stock these screws by my searches.

Also, there is a semi-rubbery part between 1/2 and 3/4 carbs that is called the Choke Shaft Seal. The attached picture of the carbs has the wire end pointing to it. There is no part number in our local Kawasaki repair reference. I was going to put new pvc tube in between them. Do you have recommendations for a better material for that application?

Finally, there is a groove in the choke plate shaft that looks like it should have a rubber o-ring on it. The red handled screw driver points at this groove. None is depicted in the Clymer. The shaft was dirty for the centimeter around that end and it seems like an O-Ring would go well there. Would this part just wear out from the choke turning open and closed during each start? I think it would suck outside air from the play it has.

Thanks in advance. This project has gone on for too long. I finished the engine rebuild after a valve job. The carbs pissed in my garage, then a new neighbor reset the floats. I guess my attempts with tubes were not effective. He just bounced the floats and moved the tang, but that style didn't work out when my buddy did the same.

I also think I need a new battery now... it didn't charge strong. I filled it up with water. Any recommendations there? In modern charge controllers for solar, etc, the charger is supposed to go through a hard charge cycle to keep the batteries in good shape. Maybe charge it then put it on the start setting for a few minutes? 50Amps is what this charger is rated for starting, 10A for trickle.

Clint
1980 KZ750 LTD H4
FSMaunual: kz.bike-night.com/media/GPz750-full.pdf
Stock except for:
New chain and sprocket (530?).
Dynatek Ignition
Manual tensioner on the way.

Buy JIS screwdrivers.
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
01 Oct 2016 21:12 #744222 by Nessism
Replied by Nessism on topic Choke Shaft Seal, Keihin 34? KZ750H LTD 1980
No seal in the groove on the shaft.

I used RED loctite on the screws AND I flared the concave screw end using a pointy nub and some high leverage pliers.

The following user(s) said Thank You: FaultedGeologist

• FaultedGeologist
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
01 Oct 2016 21:46 - 01 Oct 2016 21:54 #744225 by FaultedGeologist
Replied by FaultedGeologist on topic Choke Shaft Seal, Keihin 34? KZ750H LTD 1980

Nessism wrote: No seal in the groove on the shaft.

I used RED loctite on the screws AND I flared the concave screw end using a pointy nub and some high leverage pliers.

Attachment keihin-34-carb-choke-seal.jpg not found

Thank you. How about those two 1cm long ~1cm diameter tubes between 1/2 and 3/4 carbs on the choke rail? I added a red star on top of the piece in question. (the rail pictured so well in your pic) Mine are old and crusty. Do those need to seal tight? What can I replace them with?

Clint
1980 KZ750 LTD H4
Stock except for:
Dynatek Ignition

Buy JIS screwdrivers.
Attachments:
Last edit: 01 Oct 2016 21:54 by FaultedGeologist. Reason: change the picture to have red stars

More
02 Oct 2016 05:23 #744234 by Nessism
Using a piece of fuel hose or even that vinyl tubing you mention should be fine. They don't need to seal air tight, just keep dust and crud out of the bearing. Getting those butterflies to open and close smoothly is one of the critical areas on those carbs, the spring is really weak, so you need to keep crud out or the choke will hang up.
The following user(s) said Thank You: FaultedGeologist

• FaultedGeologist
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
06 Oct 2016 06:46 - 06 Oct 2016 06:57 #744582 by FaultedGeologist
Replied by FaultedGeologist on topic Choke Shaft Seal, Keihin 34? KZ750H LTD 1980
I went to the local Kawasaki repair shop for the 6 O-rings on the fuel rail. They spent about 30min looking for the o-rings, found some that were loose in the groove, and tried to convince me this was okay. I can wiggle the o-ring diagonally in the groove on the fuel rail tube studs. To me this means it isn't going to seal well. The guy said they will pinch down when the carbs are reassembled. I think they sold me some SAE o-ring that isn't to spec. Since the carb plates are going to get some thread locker, I want to do this precisely one time.

What do you recommend? I was going to order this kit-o-o-rings so I would have others for those times my auto parts don't come with the necessary parts...
www.amazon.com/Metric-Ring-Buna-N-Durome...ieces/dp/B00NSLM5D8/

Edit: DO YOU KNOW THE SIZE SPEC OF THE O-RINGS? Z-1 has a ton of kits of various sizes, but I haven't found them to be well labeled. It would be great if their parts could be accessed by bike model somehow instead of a hodge podge of crap to click and compare.

Clint
1980 KZ750 LTD H4
Stock except for:
Dynatek Ignition

Buy JIS screwdrivers.
Last edit: 06 Oct 2016 06:57 by FaultedGeologist. Reason: labeled.

More
06 Oct 2016 08:22 - 06 Oct 2016 08:22 #744596 by Nessism
I would not bother with that Amazon kit. You may be able to use one or two sizes but that's no answer to all the others you won't have.

For the first set of those Keihin's I rebuilt I bought O-rings from Z1. For the subsequent sets I just ordered O-rings in bulk. Send me a PM as a reminder and I'll pull out my stock and provide you the info. Pretty sure I've got spares too if that would help.
Last edit: 06 Oct 2016 08:22 by Nessism.

• FaultedGeologist
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
06 Oct 2016 09:17 #744600 by FaultedGeologist
PM sent, thanks.

I found some sizes here:
www.triumphrat.net/hinckley-classic-trip...embly-and-clean.html
Still not sure on exact o-ring size.

Based on the above link, would this be the correct o-ring?
www.z1enterprises.com/product/KL18-4604-1

Clint
1980 KZ750 LTD H4
Stock except for:
Dynatek Ignition

Buy JIS screwdrivers.

More
06 Oct 2016 09:23 #744601 by Nessism

FaultedGeologist wrote: PM sent, thanks.

I found some sizes here:
www.triumphrat.net/hinckley-classic-trip...embly-and-clean.html
Still not sure on exact o-ring size.

Based on the above link, would this be the correct o-ring?
www.z1enterprises.com/product/KL18-4604-1

I think these are the right ones but I need to double check ... www.z1enterprises.com/product/KL18-4622-1

• FaultedGeologist
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
06 Oct 2016 09:55 - 06 Oct 2016 10:13 #744603 by FaultedGeologist

Nessism wrote: I think these are the right ones but I need to double check ... www.z1enterprises.com/product/KL18-4622-1

Nessim, I think you are right. My curiosity finally prompted a slight cleaning of my project-rich garage. I found my micrometer :woohoo: and measured the rail tubes at 6mm od in the groove and 2.3mm wide.

Clint
1980 KZ750 LTD H4
Stock except for:
Dynatek Ignition

Buy JIS screwdrivers.
Last edit: 06 Oct 2016 10:13 by FaultedGeologist. Reason: give it the green checkmark!

More
06 Oct 2016 17:13 #744648 by Nessism

• FaultedGeologist
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
07 Oct 2016 21:36 #744730 by FaultedGeologist
I sent you a pm. You can email me at (my username) (a) gmail. Also needed some of that Suzuki gas tube you prob have extra of.

Clint
1980 KZ750 LTD H4
Stock except for:
Dynatek Ignition

Buy JIS screwdrivers.

More
26 Oct 2016 06:02 #746245 by jdvorchak
Replied by jdvorchak on topic Choke Shaft Seal, Keihin 34? KZ750H LTD 1980
All good suggestions. I bought these about 2 years ago and I am surprised at how many times I've used O-Rings from this kit for everything from Carbs to bathroom faucets. I have used them on Kiehin and Mikuni carbs. and even TK.

www.harborfreight.com/397-piece-metric-o...ssortment-67580.html

Don't fix it until it's broken.
John

83 KZ550M1
83 KZ1100LTD

Also own:
2010 Harley Ultra Classic Limited, 2008 Harley low rider 71 CB350/sidecar