Bogs down during hard acceleration?

More
10 Aug 2016 13:57 #738145 by JoHNY
Recently put some cones on the carbs and a less restrictive 4 - 1. It's mot so bad on mild acceleration but if I crack it open it falters. Do you guys think the AFR is too lean? What could I do to improve the situation, raise or lower the needles or float bowls? Any advice would be much appreciated

Kawasaki Z750P7 Spectre, Triumph Daytona 955i, Honda CBR1000FN

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
10 Aug 2016 14:40 #738147 by TexasKZ
Replied by TexasKZ on topic Bogs down during hard acceleration?
Yes, very lean. If you bought Emgo or Chinese filters, tou may never get them to work. On a stock engine with quality (APE or K&N) and a quality exhaust system, the very best you can hope for is that it will run almost as good as stock.

Search this site for discussion threads on pod filters. You may be overwhelmed at how hard it can be to get them dialed in. I'd recommend starting with a Dynojet Stage 3 kit, or the equivalent from Ivan's or Dale Walker if they make one for your bike.

1982 KZ1000 LTD parts donor
1981 KZ1000 LTD awaiting resurrection
2000 ZRX1100 not ridden enough
The following user(s) said Thank You: Nessism

More
10 Aug 2016 15:08 #738151 by JoHNY
Replied by JoHNY on topic Bogs down during hard acceleration?
Wow, that is a concern. I know most stuff Chinese is shit so why I thought these cones would be any different is stupid. I'll do some research

Kawasaki Z750P7 Spectre, Triumph Daytona 955i, Honda CBR1000FN

More
10 Aug 2016 15:25 #738153 by TexasKZ
The main problem with those pods is that they will cover the air jets in the mouth of the carbs. If your carbs have them, you may be able to cut away some of the rubber on the inside, hopefully not creating any new problems. It is mich simpler to start with quality parts.

The jets will definitely need to be changed. The main (and secondary main if you have them) will need to be a couple of sizes or more larger. The low speed will need to be larger if it is metering fuel. If it is an air jet, you may need to go a step smaller. If your needles are adjustable or shimable, you may be able to keep them. Otherwise, new needles will be needed.

More
10 Aug 2016 15:31 #738154 by TexasKZ
I seem to remember from another thread that you wanting to use some non-stock carbs. If that is the case, they will introduce a whole new level of complication since the stock jets might not even be correct for your bike in its stock form.

It might be simpler to contact one of the companies I mentioned and tell them exactly what you have and get their recommendations.

More
10 Aug 2016 18:57 #738179 by 650ed
Replied by 650ed on topic Bogs down during hard acceleration?
The Kawasaki KZ750 Spectre came with CV type carbs. Because of the way they operate, tuning them for pods can be a life-long experiment. With enough time, money, and patience you may get them to run almost as well as throughout the rpm range as the stock air box. Keep in mind that the folks who engineered the engine, carbs, and air boxes on these bikes were true experts in their respective areas, had lots of experience and resources at their disposal, and had a focus on overall performance. They did an excellent job. Ed

1977 KZ650-C1 Original Owner - Stock (with additional invisible FIAMM horn)

More
11 Aug 2016 11:30 #738280 by jimgcastle
Replied by jimgcastle on topic Bogs down during hard acceleration?
Go to Z1 Enterprises on the web, look up your bike and then go to the carb section. They have stage kits for the CV carbs when you want to switch to individual filters, Lose the china parts, Buy K&N and make sure the inlet ports to the carbs are clear. The stage kit will have jets, new slide needles and drills to open up the vacuum ports in the slides. Good luck.
The following user(s) said Thank You: JoHNY