Help.............

More
17 Jul 2016 05:59 #735227 by Z1Boy
Help............. was created by Z1Boy
I recently bought a KZ400D from the USA. The carbs were missing so I fitted a set of Mikuni VM 30's from Speed Motoco. Fitted them and it starts and runs at idle very well with a nice steady tick-over. Problem is, it wont run at anything above 1/8th throttle. its runs fine on pilot system but cuts out when I open the throttle. It doesn't pop or bang or falter, it just cuts right out like I have switched the ignition off so I'm thinking its probably not a carb tuning issue, could be bad coil??
Any suggestion would be welcome.

Mad about Zeds

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
17 Jul 2016 06:11 #735228 by GPzMOD750
Replied by GPzMOD750 on topic Help.............
Check your ignition timing. The advancer might be stuck. If it isn't check your coils, condenser and points if you have them.

More
17 Jul 2016 06:12 #735229 by TexasKZ
Replied by TexasKZ on topic Help.............
Check and adjust as needed valve lash. If any are way out, the carbs cannot be properly set.
Check to be sure that the ignition advancer is clean, lubed and turning freely.
After doing these things you can dive into the carbs. Bench synch, low speed mixture screws both set the same, idle adjuster in the middle of its range, fuel level correct. Start and warm up the engine. Vacuum synchronize and fine tune low speed screws.

If you are not using the stock air box, you are in for much quality time with your carbs.

1982 KZ1000 LTD parts donor
1981 KZ1000 LTD awaiting resurrection
2000 ZRX1100 not ridden enough