1982 GPz 550 Carb Rebuild Help!!!

More
23 Jun 2016 17:44 #732556 by Actionj15
1982 GPz 550 Carb Rebuild Help!!! was created by Actionj15
I'm not sure how many times you guys get these questions but i have a number of things i need to iron out to finish my carb rebuild.

I tore apart the TK 26 without taking any pictures to aid in it rebuild... :pinch: So there's that. I think i have identified all my parts but still have some questions as to where i can get a few replacements. I also haven't decided to go stock airbox or go cheap Uni's

I Need:
-All new o-rings for the jets and carb connectors. Where do i find replacements and how do i know which sizes? Can i find a kit of universal o-rings somewhere to replace the old ones and just go with it?

-I may need one of the carb joint rubber connectors shown here
Is there anywhere to buy these individually?

-Float bowl gaskets for all 4 bowls.

-I have one clogged pilot jet that may need to be replaced

Attachment download_20160623_194413.jpg not found

Attachment download_20160623_194413.jpg not found

Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
23 Jun 2016 18:42 #732558 by Nessism
Replied by Nessism on topic 1982 GPz 550 Carb Rebuild Help!!!
You can order the needed O-rings via one of the multitude of dealership sources selling original Kawasaki OEM parts. One such source is shown in this link... www.partzilla.com/parts/search/Kawasaki/...TOR+PARTS/parts.html

If you are good with your hands and a pair of calipers, you can measure the required dimensions and order up O-rings from an O-ring store like Oringsusa.com I just ordered up a full set of O-rings for my KZ750 that way (actually, I've got enough O-rings now for about 10 sets of carbs!).

To clean the pilot jet take your snips to a wire brush and grap one single strand of stiff wire. That works a treat to open up the passage in clogged jets.

More
27 Jun 2016 05:29 #733008 by jdvorchak
Replied by jdvorchak on topic 1982 GPz 550 Carb Rebuild Help!!!
I have used this trick many times to help clean pilot jets. take all of the jets, pilot, high speed and their emulsifiers and boil them in distilled water for 15 to 20 minutes . Using tap water, unfiltered, can leave calcium deposits. Not a big deal and easy to clean with brake cleaner, but why put yourself through that hassle. If not clear try it again. That at the very least helps soften the clog and make it easier to push the wire brush "wire" through. Once you do get the wire through it use plenty of brake cleaner to squirt through the jets to clear the remaining clog. When you think you have them clean squirt more brake cleaner. I use brake cleaner instead of carb cleaner. Opinions vary but on these old bikes brake cleaner is safe on rubber parts where modern carb cleaner might not be. If you are a guitar player or know one, ask for a #10 E string. It is small enough to fit through any pilot jet and the emulsifier holes. Don't forget to spray brake cleaner into the holder where you removed the jets. It should shoot a stream out inside the throat of the carb body back near where the carb hooks to the cylinder. Keep squirting until it does.

Don't fix it until it's broken.
John

83 KZ550M1
83 KZ1100LTD

Also own:
2010 Harley Ultra Classic Limited, 2008 Harley low rider 71 CB350/sidecar