REJETTING 1981 CSR 1000 Mikuni Carbs

More
17 Jun 2016 12:25 #731780 by tallmangram
REJETTING 1981 CSR 1000 Mikuni Carbs was created by tallmangram
I bought a Stage 3 2301 Dynojet kit and pods for my 1981 CSR 1000. I am looking for anyone with experience in re-jetting the carbs to accommodate the pods. Can I simply replace the jets and pilots and run it?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Kray-Z
  • User
  • I need more power Scotty....
More
16 Jul 2016 18:28 #735188 by Kray-Z
Replied by Kray-Z on topic REJETTING 1981 CSR 1000 Mikuni Carbs
Probably not - the Dyno-jet kits are designed with all the parts and mods working together with the right filters. Another important fact - don't use the cheap Emgo pod filters - the ones all over e-bay that cost less than $10 each - on CV carbs - they don't work with the suction ports for the slides on these carbs! Many have tried and failed using those! Use oval K&N's or filters recommended by Dyno-jet.

Install the whole kit as per the instructions. One important warning - careful when drilling out the Mikuni CV slides. The holes are angled!!! Insert a drill bit that just fits in the original holes, and you will see this. It makes drilling the slides a little more tricky than normal.

I found it best to very carefully step drill the slides by hand, slow speed, one size (64ths) larger bit at a time, removing only a little metal with each incrementally larger drill size, and finally finishing the hole with the Dyno-jet drill last. Use aluminum cutting oil or even WD-40 on the drills to keep them sharp for an accurately sized hole and a smooth finish.

2-04 R1, 81 CSR1000, 81 LTD1000, 2-83 GPz1100, 3-79CBX, 81 CBX, 3-XS650, 84 Venture, +parts
Quote "speed costs money...how fast do you want to go?" (Which Z movie?)
Universal formula for how many motorcycles one should own = n + 1, where n is how many motorcycles you own right now....

More
26 May 2017 21:08 #762834 by BarnyardCoral
Replied by BarnyardCoral on topic REJETTING 1981 CSR 1000 Mikuni Carbs
Did you ever go through with the stage 3 kit? Results? Strongly considering it myself.

Grand Forks, ND
1981 KZ1000 CSR
"Being shot out of a cannon will always be better than being squeezed out of a tube. That is why God made fast motorcycles, Bubba...." - HST

• Kray-Z
  • User
  • I need more power Scotty....
More
27 May 2017 06:03 #762849 by Kray-Z
Replied by Kray-Z on topic REJETTING 1981 CSR 1000 Mikuni Carbs
I installed the DJ SIII kit (Z1 Ent.) on my 81 CSR, set according to the Dynojet initial settings, and it works well. It could use a bit leaner idle mixture, but I found on the stock CSR with only a Mac 4-1, it was pretty close out of the box.

Then I had to remove my ex - race bike set of RS flat slides from my otherwise stock engine 83 GPz1100 for a while two years ago, and temporarily used the CSR carbs (with the Dynojet kit installed) on it so I could keep riding it. I had to raise the needles and richen the idle, and it was hesitant at low rpm and opening sudden big handfuls of throttle , but the kit still worked ok for normal riding (I have since found a working set of the GPz's stock injection to put back on it).

I used K&N Oval filters (APE sells them), following the K&N instructions, and didn't ride the bike in wet weather. I found years ago the K&N's did not keep water from being ingested during a big downpour, and getting the K&N's wet and dirty drastically deteriorates them. My 81 CSR was my all weather "Beater", so I returned it to the stock carb settings (another set of stock carbs) and air box.

The Dynojet Stage III carbs are now slated to go on my "Beater II" street hack for safe and easy engine break - in...I have such confidence in how flexible the DJ SIII kit carbs are now. The engine is a mix-mash of various KZ-J and GPz engine parts, with a set of lightly used Wiseco 1170 bathtub pistons and a few other HP goodies (basically this bike is being built to clear the shelves of the extra parts lying around my shop). The chassis is even more of a mongrel...

2-04 R1, 81 CSR1000, 81 LTD1000, 2-83 GPz1100, 3-79CBX, 81 CBX, 3-XS650, 84 Venture, +parts
Quote "speed costs money...how fast do you want to go?" (Which Z movie?)
Universal formula for how many motorcycles one should own = n + 1, where n is how many motorcycles you own right now....
The following user(s) said Thank You: BarnyardCoral