1982 kz550 pod filter problems

• Richarddragger
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
16 Jun 2016 18:16 #731687 by Richarddragger
1982 kz550 pod filter problems was created by Richarddragger
Okay, so I recently bought a 1982 kz550 off my buddy. I live in colorado at an elevation of 8,300. At first the bike kept stalling when I'd try to accelerate going up hill, I orginally thought it was running lean. I've always wanted to work on a bike so I figured I'd start by cleaning the carburetor. Didn't work. So I bought a carb rebuild kit and some k&n pod filters since I figured,I wanted to get started customizing my bike. Probably a bad idea. Long story short...I've rebuilt my carb and installed my pod filters the rebuild kit recommend I used a size 112 main jet instead of my orginal 92 with the new filters.I also raised the needle one notch from its original position as recommended from the rebuild kit. Now the bike is all over the place. Starts sometimes and idles fine but I usually have to prime it to keep it going, and sputters/stalls when in low gears. I don't know if it's too rich now or what the issue is. I've tried messing with the air screws but nothing I do seems to work... any ideas?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• The_Proletariat
  • User
  • "Cocaine is a hell of a drug"
More
16 Jun 2016 18:47 - 16 Jun 2016 18:48 #731692 by The_Proletariat
Replied by The_Proletariat on topic 1982 kz550 pod filter problems
112 main is way too rich.

I have pods with the stock jets and needle clip in the center. Although it is not perfect (takes forever to get a plug reading with ethanol fuel) the bike is rideable with none of the issues you have.

Did you raise the needle clip (leaner) or the needle (richer)?

Air screws should range from half a turn to 1 and a half turns.

You have a vacuum leak or a bad petcock if you are only getting fuel on prime. If it is a vacuum leak I would address that asap.

1982 Kawasaki KZ550 LTD
Last edit: 16 Jun 2016 18:48 by The_Proletariat.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.