Petcock install

• prizethedoubt
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
31 May 2016 18:36 #729409 by prizethedoubt
Petcock install was created by prizethedoubt
Easy question just double checking.
I forgot to take a picture of my bike when taking the carbs off. Can anyone attach a picture of where the fuel line goes and where the vacuum goes?KZ440 LTD 1982

KZ 440 LTD 1982.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
01 Jun 2016 04:36 - 01 Jun 2016 09:20 #729452 by martin_csr
Replied by martin_csr on topic Petcock install
The vacuum port is on the square vac cover & is typically smaller than the fuel port which is on the petcock body near the bottom.

Edit: the carburetor fuel port is between the 2 carbs, low on the airbox side of the carbs. the vac ports are higher up on the carb bodies, engine side of carbs. one of the vac ports probably should be capped. use a good automotive vac cap.

Vents. similar in size to the vac ports, possibly smaller, higher than the fuel tee on the aribox side of the carbs. connect tubing to those & route it so that rain/water won't get in. on some models the vent tubing is routed behind the engine. forward of the swing arm, and away from the chain & mufflers. the vents on my 81 650 are routed over the airbox shoulders and fitted snugly between the airbox & side covers; the left side vent tubing has a frame clamp.
oops, didn't read all of TexasKZ's comment. doh.
Last edit: 01 Jun 2016 09:20 by martin_csr.

• prizethedoubt
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
01 Jun 2016 05:43 #729461 by prizethedoubt
Replied by prizethedoubt on topic Petcock install
Not sure where to connect on carbs

KZ 440 LTD 1982.

More
01 Jun 2016 06:04 #729464 by Skullcrusher
Replied by Skullcrusher on topic Petcock install
Not sure about your bike, but my 750 twin has a brass vacuum tube sticking up from the top of the carb throat. I just plugged both of them and switched to a manual petcock.

Bikes: 82 kz750 CSR, 03 Suzuki gsf1200s (stage 2), 73 CB 750 bored to 849, big cam, ports head, big valves, lots of other goodies....

More
01 Jun 2016 06:39 #729475 by TexasKZ
Replied by TexasKZ on topic Petcock install

martin_csr wrote: The vacuum port is on the square vac cover & is typically smaller than the fuel port which is on the petcock body near the bottom.

Did you notice that Martin_CSR said that the vacuum line is smaller? That is also true at the carb end of the hoses.
The fuel inlet is typically between the carbs just above the fuel bowl level. Each carb will have a vacuum port that is higher on the carb body. One will be for the line from the petcock, the other will be for emissions equipment or it will be capped. There may also be a vacuum-sized port on each carb way down low. These will be vents or overflows, depending on the particular model carb you have.
You really need a genuine, Kawasaki factory service manual.

1982 KZ1000 LTD parts donor
1981 KZ1000 LTD awaiting resurrection
2000 ZRX1100 not ridden enough
The following user(s) said Thank You: SWest