Kz1100 Mikuni Bs34's

• eddiem
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • KZR FLAG RELAY CARRIER #63
More
17 May 2016 23:22 #727117 by eddiem
Kz1100 Mikuni Bs34's was created by eddiem
I been talking to Daveo on here about how his bs34's were set up. And researching these carbs I came across a company (sigma and dyna jet) that has a kit.
Are these kits any good?
The bike is stock from the internals to the airbox and exhaust. the fuel screws were still sealed and the needles are stock as well as the jets.
The bike has never been a smooth starting bike. It seems to run ok.
I know its from the beginning of the smog era and could run better.
What could I do to the carbs?
I just want it to run smooth.
Eddie

1976 Kz900
1978 Kz1000
1978 Z1r
1982 Kz1100 A2
1975 Z1b-900
1975 Z1b-900

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
18 May 2016 06:59 #727179 by Nessism
Replied by Nessism on topic Kz1100 Mikuni Bs34's
You don't need a jet kit, just clean the carbs properly and replace all the O-rings. This tutorial was written for a Suzuki but about 90% of the elements cross over. Cycleorings.com sells a BS carb kit so I'd order that up. zeus.mtsac.edu/~cliff/storage/gs/Mikuni_...Rebuild_Tutorial.pdf

To assure the bike runs properly make sure you have an OEM type air filter, not a K&N type. Vacuum sync the carbs and tune the pilot screws using the highest idle method. All pretty basic stuff.

More
18 May 2016 20:25 - 18 May 2016 20:35 #727350 by daveo
Replied by daveo on topic Kz1100 Mikuni Bs34's

Nessism wrote: You don't need a jet kit, just clean the carbs properly and replace all the O-rings. This tutorial was written for a Suzuki but about 90% of the elements cross over. Cycleorings.com sells a BS carb kit so I'd order that up. zeus.mtsac.edu/~cliff/storage/gs/Mikuni_...Rebuild_Tutorial.pdf

To assure the bike runs properly make sure you have an OEM type air filter, not a K&N type. Vacuum sync the carbs and tune the pilot screws using the highest idle method. All pretty basic stuff.

+1
For not really knowing what I'm doing to my 1100, she reacts favorably to rough caresses. Don't ride her too hard, but slap her once in awhile.
Fiddling is more like it. :blush:

1982 KZ1100-A2

Last edit: 18 May 2016 20:35 by daveo.

• eddiem
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • KZR FLAG RELAY CARRIER #63
More
18 May 2016 21:05 #727358 by eddiem
Replied by eddiem on topic Kz1100 Mikuni Bs34's
That's a good read. Thanks Ed
Dave...I think you know what you're doing, your bike is super nice and I'm sure it runs as nice as it looks.

1976 Kz900
1978 Kz1000
1978 Z1r
1982 Kz1100 A2
1975 Z1b-900
1975 Z1b-900

More
19 May 2016 21:06 #727543 by jdvorchak
Replied by jdvorchak on topic Kz1100 Mikuni Bs34's

Nessism wrote:

My new to me KZ1100 shaft came with an un-oiled K&N. I just oiled it today as I just got the carbs rebuilt and valves set. You think the K&N flows too much air? I also have V&H 4 into one with cone and baffle. Bike started easily and idle pretty good for just rebuilt carbs and not synced or idle max mixture adjustment yet. Takes throttle with no hesitation but have not test ridden it yet. Oh.. Mains are 120 never could see a number on the pilot jets.

Don't fix it until it's broken.
John

83 KZ550M1
83 KZ1100LTD

Also own:
2010 Harley Ultra Classic Limited, 2008 Harley low rider 71 CB350/sidecar

More
19 May 2016 22:34 - 19 May 2016 22:35 #727552 by Patton
Replied by Patton on topic Kz1100 Mikuni Bs34's
As established by independent testing, a new stock pleated paper air filter element flows as much air and cleaner air than does a fresh properly oiled K&N.

The K&N is "good," but the stock pleated paper filter element is "best," especially when the stock pleated paper filter element is clean, fresh and new.

The one advantage of the K&N is ability to re-clean, re-oil, and re-use over and over and over again, virtually forever, and it does a pretty good job, just not as good of a job as does the stock pleated paper filter element.

Over the long haul, the K&N will probably be less expensive when compared to replacing the stock pleated paper air filter elements, at least until the cost of an earlier overhaul is factored into the cost analysis.

That said, many owners are content to use the K&N.

I was content with K&N until reading the independent test results when K&N's filter flow and efficiency was compared to filter flow and efficiency of pleated paper elements.

Good Fortune! :)

1973 Z1
KZ900 LTD
Last edit: 19 May 2016 22:35 by Patton.
The following user(s) said Thank You: jdvorchak

More
20 May 2016 03:44 #727565 by Nebr_Rex
Replied by Nebr_Rex on topic Kz1100 Mikuni Bs34's

Patton wrote: As established by independent testing, a new stock pleated paper air filter element flows as much air and cleaner air than does a fresh properly oiled K&N.

The K&N is "good," but the stock pleated paper filter element is "best," especially when the stock pleated paper filter element is clean, fresh and new.

The one advantage of the K&N is ability to re-clean, re-oil, and re-use over and over and over again, virtually forever, and it does a pretty good job, just not as good of a job as does the stock pleated paper filter element.

Over the long haul, the K&N will probably be less expensive when compared to replacing the stock pleated paper air filter elements, at least until the cost of an earlier overhaul is factored into the cost analysis.

I was content with K&N until reading the independent test results when K&N's filter flow and efficiency was compared to filter flow and efficiency of pleated paper elements.

Where could a person read this report?

2002 ZRX1200R
81 GPz1100
79 KZ1000st daily ride
79 KZ1000mk2 prodject
78 KZ650sr
78 KZ650b
81 KZ750e
80 KZ750ltd
77 KZ400/440 cafe project
76 KZ400/440 Fuel Injected

www.dotheton.com/forum/index.php?topic=39120.0

More
20 May 2016 05:32 #727572 by Nessism
K&N's flow lots of air because they don't provide much restriction, and they don't scrub the air as well as a good paper filter for the same reason. My reasoning for recommending a stock filter is because then you KNOW that the bike should run well; stock exhaust, airbox, and filter means no guessing on jetting. Start changing stuff and you are immediately off the charts and on your own.

More
20 May 2016 06:18 #727576 by jdvorchak
Replied by jdvorchak on topic Kz1100 Mikuni Bs34's

Nessism wrote: K&N's flow lots of air because they don't provide much restriction, and they don't scrub the air as well as a good paper filter for the same reason. My reasoning for recommending a stock filter is because then you KNOW that the bike should run well; stock exhaust, airbox, and filter means no guessing on jetting. Start changing stuff and you are immediately off the charts and on your own.

My feelings exactly; When I saw the K&N my son said "cool" but I was skeptical. I've been dealing with these old UJM long enough to know that to get the CV carbs to work properly they need the OEM paper filter. That being said I just completed reviving two GS850's and had aftermarket foam elements. After I cleaned and oiled them properly the bikes ran amazingly well. So I'll try the K&N for a while and see how she runs. God knows they are sure easy enough to swap out. Those GS filters were kind of a PIA to get them changed and the box sealed up.

Don't fix it until it's broken.
John

83 KZ550M1
83 KZ1100LTD

Also own:
2010 Harley Ultra Classic Limited, 2008 Harley low rider 71 CB350/sidecar

More
20 May 2016 06:32 #727579 by Nessism

jdvorchak wrote:

Nessism wrote: K&N's flow lots of air because they don't provide much restriction, and they don't scrub the air as well as a good paper filter for the same reason. My reasoning for recommending a stock filter is because then you KNOW that the bike should run well; stock exhaust, airbox, and filter means no guessing on jetting. Start changing stuff and you are immediately off the charts and on your own.

My feelings exactly; When I saw the K&N my son said "cool" but I was skeptical. I've been dealing with these old UJM long enough to know that to get the CV carbs to work properly they need the OEM paper filter. That being said I just completed reviving two GS850's and had aftermarket foam elements. After I cleaned and oiled them properly the bikes ran amazingly well. So I'll try the K&N for a while and see how she runs. God knows they are sure easy enough to swap out. Those GS filters were kind of a PIA to get them changed and the box sealed up.

Many of the Suzuki GS bikes came stock with an oiled foam filter. Nothing wrong with those. The key thing is to stay stock unless you plan on rejetting.

More
20 May 2016 08:17 - 20 May 2016 08:18 #727591 by Patton
Replied by Patton on topic Kz1100 Mikuni Bs34's

Nebr_Rex wrote:

Patton wrote: As established by independent testing, a new stock pleated paper air filter element flows as much air and cleaner air than does a fresh properly oiled K&N.

Here are links to a few of the articles.

www.nicoclub.com/archives/kn-vs-oem-filter.html

mymiata.paladinmicro.com/K&NComments.htm

www.bobistheoilguy.com/airfilter/airtest1.htm

www.bmwcca.org/forum/index.php?threads/i...n-type-filters.7642/

1973 Z1
KZ900 LTD
Last edit: 20 May 2016 08:18 by Patton.